Is .dot Mac worth doing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G3, 13" Macbook 1.8 ghz duo core, iPod nano (1st generation), iPod Shuffle
I'm getting ready to buy new iMac and am considering getting a .Mac account in order to get as much out of the new machine as I can. I don't have my own personal website, but I do already have a Flikr account (pay) and a free blog on blogspot. And I already have a yahoo email account.

With all that, I wonder if it's worth it to pay for services that I get for free (or very cheaply) on the net?

Anyone out there using a .Mac account? What are the pros and cons?

(sorry if this thread has already been started somewhere else. I searched and couldn't find one)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
How about you try it out for the 60 days free trial and see how it goes. In my opinion, its really worth it if you have more than one mac, cause it offers no hassles syncing between macs, Leopard is gonna have backtomymac, photocasting, stuff like that. It's worth it if you have the use for it, although, $50 would have been ideal :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
I got one after much debate and truly enjoy it. I use a mbp and an imac for my freelance business, so it helps to have files on there. ALso i use the email for the same reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
If you do a search, you'll see quite a few threads on this topic.

Personally, I think it's worth it for the ease of syncing between my Macs, and the one-click publish of my iWeb photo albums and blogs. Most of what .mac does can be done cheaper (and free), but not so easily and elegantly.

FWIW, the upgrade in disc space has taken a lot of the guesswork away and has made .mac far more useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
It's $140+ a year in AUS. With only one mac is it worth it?
I already have a paid Flickr account for my photos.

Reaction score
It is for me - mine renews in about 2 weeks and I intend to do so but you might want to take advantage of the trial period and decide for yourself.

OP
bombat67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G3, 13" Macbook 1.8 ghz duo core, iPod nano (1st generation), iPod Shuffle
thanks for the responses.

I think I'll go the trial route and see if it makes sense. My wife does have a Macbook, so if it will make exchanging files between computers easier and provide the opportunity to access files from remote locations, then it's worth a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I been using it for several years. My opinion is yes it is worth it if you use all its features. As goobimama mentioned, Leopard is taking advantage of .Mac, and iLife as well. If these are features that do not matter to you, then it is not worth it. Many people purchase the .Mac and later say it was not worth it. I find in their case they have really used all the features.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.