Mac Questions iMac Mac Pro

Reaction score
So I am going into my 2 year 3d course and I am looking at updating my Dell e1505, building myself a workstation since I am going to be doing a LOT of work at my apartment. I know that I am going to go mac and don't want to build a PC.

Here are my options that I am thinking about. Again I am a college student and I do not have a lot of money but I want to get a computer that will last me through the next 2-3 years easy.

iMac 24" - $1800
2gb Ram - $165
imac 24" 2.4Ghz 3gb Ram Total - $1965

Mac Pro 2.66 Ebay or Refurbished- $2000-2200
2g RAM - $200
Dell 22" Monitor - $300
Mac Pro 2.66 3gb Ram + 22" Monitor - $2500-2800

Any thoughts?

If I got an iMac would I be happy with it or would it take 3 hours to render a frame in Maya? Also if I got an iMac will I still be able to use it in 2-3 years of will I probably need to upgrade? I like the iMac but the expansion I do not like. Pros and Cons of both.

iMac

Pros

• 24" screen
  • All in one computer
  • Much cheaper

Cons

• Graphics card
  • Can only upgrade RAM

Mac Pro

Pros

• Expandability
  • Quad Core
  • Upgrade the Graphics Card
  • If I choose to resell it in 2-3 years I can easily get $1000-1500 for it.

Cons

• Expensive!!!
  • Did I say expensive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
My refurb quad was over $2300 with tax. You could get the quad 2GHz model and save some cash. You can use the current monitor with no problems.
Both computers will easily last a few years. The Mac Pro costs more but well worth it.

OP
J
Reaction score
My hopes are to buy it on ebay or amazon so that I do not have to pay the sales tax and only shipping. I need a 2.66 or higher and not a 2ghz.

Also I don't have a monitor so I will have to buy one, the e1505 is a laptop, not desktop.

Also the price might drop since there is a new update coming in the next 40-50 days, or should be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.