Help please. Why is My Mac Pro so much slower than my old pc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
I agree with the original poster. Adobe CS3 on my Mac Pro is much slower than PhotoShop 7 on my old G4 with simple things like drawing and cloning, etc. Even Photoshop 7 under Rosetta is faster than CS3 at these tasks. perhaps Adobe just sucks at programming?

EDIT:

Here's some Quicktime examples:

CS3 Extended cloning on my Mac Pro

Photoshop 7 cloning on my Mac Pro (under Rosetta)

Notice the slight lag in the CS3 version. CS3 is inferior in performance to an older app which is being emulated. Adobe needs better programmers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I think it could be a Tiger issue. Maybe it will be better in Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Weird. I got an iMac Core Duo here and I don't experience even one bit of lag. In my case I would not know what to do with more speed, its that fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Weird. I got an iMac Core Duo here and I don't experience even one bit of lag. In my case I would not know what to do with more speed, its that fast.

I have only had macs since christmas so I can't compare older versions to new versions but there is no lag on my computer either (it a pretty quick computer though - Unless you have lots of cash for the 3GHz {I had originally budgeted for a 3GHz but spent the extra on more camera equipment instead as I couldn't see any real difference in speed at the Apple store!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
Maybe the Mac Pro is just an inferior machine?

Keep in mind I am working with relatively large files, not a simple web JPEG where there is no lag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...

Keep in mind I am working with relatively large files, not a simple web JPEG where there is no lag.

Inferior relative to what? The Mac Pro's issue is the stock graphics card is a joke. The 7300GT is worse than what's in the iMacs... The CPUs, on the other hand, are faster than anything Apple has offered in the past... clock-for-clock they're significantly faster than the PPC970 (G5), even if both processors are running native code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Inferior relative to what? The Mac Pro's issue is the stock graphics card is a joke. The 7300GT is worse than what's in the iMacs... The CPUs, on the other hand, are faster than anything Apple has offered in the past... clock-for-clock they're significantly faster than the PPC970 (G5), even if both processors are running native code.

I bought the X1900 with mine. Apple should dump the rubbish 7300GT completely replace it with the X1900 and bring out a next gen card to replace the X1900 at the higher end, maybe a 8800.

Maybe they will with the 2nd gen intel Mac pro they will probably launch in the next 3 months.

Cam

Reaction score
I'm running cs3 in windows xp on my base madel mac pro (2.0ghz, 1gb ram, 7300gt etc...) and it runs beautifully. No slow down problems. I can't imagine why yours would be slow...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
What I don't see are numbers. Everyone's theories aren't getting him anywhere.
Install menu meters and post how much RAM you're using when you do Photoshop tasks and how much processing power you are also using doing them.

Mac OS needs some ram + some widgets + background processes + disc cache etc So having more than 4Gb helps in that PS has its full amount. Personnally I went for 6Gb it was a cheap option ie 2x512 with computer plus 1 of 2x512 + 2 of 2x1024 from kingston.

Really? How many things do you have open? I have Mail, Firefox, iChat, iTunes, and iPhoto open, plus a full bar of menu stuff and a few widgets running. Right now I am clock out with a mere 326MB used doing all that.

Doubt it.

I tested a PSD file from a photo I worked on in college. It's a 130MB file. I tried the paint bursh, clone tool, and some filters and have had no delay. My RAM usage is up to 385MB now.

My Setup:
Quad 2.66GHz
2x1GB RAM installed by Apple
2x250GB WD HD's
2 Pioneer SuperDrives
256MB 7300GT Vid Card
20.1" NEC LCD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The 7300GT is rubbish, plus you're sharing PCI express lines by having more than one card.
X1900 is much faster.

I agree that the 7300 is an odd choice for such an otherwise powerful machine. The 7800 would have been the obvious choice from the 7xxx series. I just checked their web site and they still don't offer the 7800 or any of the 8xxx series cards either. Surprising.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD
Not a speck of lag on my 2.13ghz core2duo 2 gigs of ram PC.

And i have noticed, that the slightly faster mac 20"s at my school seem to run much slower than my PC.

This is weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really? How many things do you have open? I have Mail, Firefox, iChat, iTunes, and iPhoto open, plus a full bar of menu stuff and a few widgets running. Right now I am clock out with a mere 326MB used doing all that.

Photoshop when running full steam can use 3Gb of ram (maximum). The Mac pro comes with 1Gb. As I have explained a few times in the hardware section the speed of the Mac pro is significantly affected by not having the ram in double pairs. You have 4x512Mb which means that (so long as you have the ram in the correct slots) you are getting a boost of 10-15% JUST from having a bank of ram full plus the boost you get from having the extra ram. Now I wanted at least 3Gb for photoshop plus some for tiger. This would mean that 4Gb would be ideal but without wasting my 1Gb! So I bought 4x1Gb and then just bought 2x512Mb to make up two fours. I would have been happy with 4Gb but it would have been a waste leaving the original 1Gb in a box or slow leaving it in. It only cost £65 for the final 1Gb.

Anyway whilst photoshop is using the 3Gb and tiger, mail etc are using another Gig the final 2Gb are being used as a cache. I have a 250Gb drive in one of the bays used solely for a photoshop cache and that gets used too. It depends on what you are manipulating. If for example I was messing around with 6 HDR images and wrapping them around a couple of cubes whilst overlaying them over another HDR image I think even my memory config would struggle!

I cannot remember who it is but there is someone on here who has 32Gb in his pro (yes the pro can use 4Gb sticks even though Apples site does not mention this) I wander if he thinks that is enough!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.