Confused about Time machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Will time machine compress the backups of your data? Because if not wouldn't you need a pretty big external, and if it does, is it a decent compression rate?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I'm guessing it works similar to MA Volume Shadow Copy services. Since I haven't used 10.5 this is just an assumption.

It would only back up the delta changes to files versus whole new versions thus saving space. I'm also guessing that there is a time to live option. If you're HD is 500gb and your backup drive is 500gb obviously just filling up you first HD you'd approach problems. So you either tell it that time machine can remove items over one month or something like that, and on the flip side you might get a messege that says "get more HD space" or "you're running out of time" :eek:).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.2 Ghz, 160 GB, 2GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM
yeah ive always wondered that, wont data that is really old have to be compressed or whatever. I think that with time machine, ex hard drive is the best to go. but id still just go one month delete or somthing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.