iTunes has 2 purchased music folders.. how do I consolidate them?

Reaction score
Switcher here... here's my current situation, bear with me... I have 2 Ipods (40gig and Nano) that I load my complete library on and 3 computers (work laptop with XP, home desktop with XP and a new iMac) I have not put my iTunes library on my iMac yet. I also have an XP box that crashed the HDD before I was able to deauthorize so it currently shows that I have 3 computers authorized on my iTunes account (laptop, desktop and crashed desktop). I know how to fix this issue (I can authorize 5 PCs then deauthorize all from my account) but I seem to have another issue that I would like to fix before deauthorizing all my computers then reauthorizing the working ones and loading my library and playlists on my new iMac.

Some how I ended up with 2 "Purchased Music" folders in iTunes on both my laptop and current desktop. The folders have different songs in them, one folder has music that I purchased while on my old computer and the other folder has music purchased while on my laptop... is this normal or is there a way to consolidate these folders into one "Purchased Music" folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Just use File - "Add to Library" in the iTunes application that has the library you want as your main library.This will copy/move them over the network to the library you want to use. Once they are all verified to work, backup the old stuff some where and then delete the library IN iTunes. Don't just delete the directories and files in Finder or My Computer. At least, thats how I moved various Libraries from different PC's and Mac's to my 2 current Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Are you talking about folders on your computer, or playlists in iTunes? If they're playlists, then it sounds like some odd thing going on in your iTunes Library file. I don't know if turning off the automatic playlist creation under the store tab of the preferences and then turning it back on would fix this...

I've had some weird things go on with my xml file, but nothing like this...

OP
R
Reaction score
Are you talking about folders on your computer, or playlists in iTunes? If they're playlists, then it sounds like some odd thing going on in your iTunes Library file. I don't know if turning off the automatic playlist creation under the store tab of the preferences and then turning it back on would fix this...

I've had some weird things go on with my xml file, but nothing like this...
I should have said playlists not folders... I tried your recommendation and viola, now I only have 1 Purchased Music playlist... thanks for the suggestion

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.