turn off the annoying sound when startup

Reaction score
when the power mac desktop turns on it has this annoying sound...can this be turned off?

thanks
phat

Reaction score
I turned mine off by muting the entire system.

Probably not the best way, but when I'm in a lecture it works for me.

On my MacBook, it's the F3 key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
From less than 48 hours ago:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=486094

Anyway, that "annoying" sound lets you know that everything is okay with your computer. It's actually the result of a bunch of hardware self-tests the Mac runs on its motherboard, RAM, video circuitry, etc. at startup. when you hear the standard Mac startup chime, that means all the major subsystems have been tested and have passed; if any of the tests fail, you'll hear something else at startup. If find some way to bypass it, you could end up missing an important post sound.

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y is basically right. The chime is also needed when zapping PRAM. Do not turn off the sound. You can however use StartupSound.prefPane to turn down (adjust) the volume.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uhhh macbook (black) 120gb HD 2gb Ram and a intel core duo processor at 2.o ghz
thnx for that link DocZ06... that will help me keep the volume on the chime on but very low..... i do want to hear it but not at the satndard volume set by apple so thnx!!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with DB also, but if it's set LOUD and plugged into Kilpsch Pro Media's with the volume turned up, and it's 1 AM and I reboot for an update, it can get QUITE LOUD! Once I did not realize how high I had the volume set and it rattled the windows in the house and probably bugged my next door neighbor! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
For me the sound plays on my laptops speakers even if i muted the sound before i turned the computer off. If i have headphones plugged in the sound still plays on the speakers instead of on the headphones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
From less than 48 hours ago:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=486094

Anyway, that "annoying" sound lets you know that everything is okay with your computer. It's actually the result of a bunch of hardware self-tests the Mac runs on its motherboard, RAM, video circuitry, etc. at startup. when you hear the standard Mac startup chime, that means all the major subsystems have been tested and have passed; if any of the tests fail, you'll hear something else at startup. If find some way to bypass it, you could end up missing an important post sound.

Thx a lot for that info, didnt knew that :D

Reaction score
You can find a short tutorial on how to get rid of that sound here. It describes how to do it using SoundPref.Pane, the freeware application refered above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.