iMac buying advice (I'm a first time buyer)

Reaction score
After being thoroughly disgusted with Windows Vista, I've finally decided to make the switch to Mac. I originally planned on waiting for Apple to release refurbished models of the new iMacs. However, my university is clearing out its stock of the old iMacs and is selling the 24" model (2.16 gHz, 1 GB RAM, superdrive, etc.) for 1299 with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Is this something that I should go for? Or should I wait a few months until the new iMacs start being released as refurbs? I like the look of the new iMacs and, being a PC user for many years, I am scared of upgrading the OS. Any input would be helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
Do you have a preference with regards to glossy vs. regular screen type? Some people dislike the glossy screens on the new iMacs. Doesn't seem like much of a price break for a used computer though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I have to agree with illy that does seem pretty pricey for a used computer. I would wait for 10.5 to come out before buying one. just to save some $$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
I would a new one over a used one at that price. Better still hunt around for something cheaper.

OP
R
Reaction score
oops, I should have been more specific. These are brand new iMacs, they're the old model that the school hasn't sold yet. With regard to the screen, it doesn't make a real difference to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.