Force quit/can't shut down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Force quit...solved :)

I hope this is the right forum, as I'm not too bothered about the problems with the program, just want osX to shutdown.

Stuffit Expander was taking a long time opening a file, so I told it to cancel and it's been stuck at "cancelling" for about 30 minutes now, I've tried telling it to quit with no joy.

The problem is, I can't shut down while it's still running and I can't get it to quit either.

Is there anyway to force stuffit expander to close or my i-book to shutdown regardless?

Thanks <3

Oh, in case it helps: i-book G4, running osX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Force Shutdown?

I have used Force shutdown before on my mac. I just hope you have an eject key on your keyboard. If so try control+option+command+eject.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I have used Force shutdown before on my mac. I just hope you have an eject key on your keyboard. If so try control+option+command+eject.
Thanks for your reply :)

Sadly, it didn't work; "the application 'stuffit expander' cancelled shutdown..." is the error message, then it tells me to close stuffit and try again xD

Thanks though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not too familiar with mac laptops but can you pull the battery out?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I've never done it, but it looks like it'd slide out pretty easily, I'm a bit wary of messing with the battery as I never checked if it was one of the recalled ones(which it probably was) ;p

However...I managed to force quit stuffit with the activity monitor, so problem solved! :D

Thanks for helping me out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hate taking batteries out of laptops but sometimes there is no other way..

Glad to hear you got the problem worked out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.