Problems with 1 day old 24" iMac

OP
illy5603
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
Welcome! For me it looks like third time is a charm. I am not having any issues with my third iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 24" Core 2 Duo 4gb RAM
yep, they deleted all references to serial numbers and complaints about them removing threads. Silly. Hopefully now that Leopard is out it will fix my problem once I update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Just food for thought, but it is possible to get a Mac completely bent out of shape by running it hard with insufficient RAM. Apples default configs tend to be rather stingy, IMHO. Doubling what you get with the machine will always improve performance, and in my experience, will make lockups less frequent.

Also, the "Your system must be powered off. Press the power button for several seconds or press the reset button..." thing can be caused by untidily pulling devices out - an external firewire disk, for example. Is it possible you did that?

Regardless of the above, I'd have done the same and taken it back if that happened the first day I got it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
running with 4gb of ram. this thing is just locking up. read reports that a fresh OS install and ZERO updates will result in no lockups

OP
illy5603
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
running with 4gb of ram. this thing is just locking up. read reports that a fresh OS install and ZERO updates will result in no lockups

My third iMac, which is working great, has one gig of ram. I think the problems that are plaguing so many new iMac owners are as follows.

1) Bad Video Cards
2) Bad Memory

Some say the 1.1 iMac update causes the lockups and graphic artifacts. It is my humble opinion that the patch only exasperates the symptom on systems with bad hardware. Besides, my first iMac locked up right after the welcome video during setup, no patches or software at all at that point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my original aluminum 24" didn't start locking up until after an update, don't know what's going on other than my stinkin' system is not 100%! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

Yeah, 4gb should be plenty.

How annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FINALLY!!!!! I hope they fix it faster than they acknowledged the problem!!!

Deleting post on their forum about a legitimate issue was just wrong, I've NEVER had a post deleted on me before. It was pretty surprising that it happened on an apple.com forum (at least surprising to me)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.