Any News on Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
Is there any release date yet? I know that it is coming out in October but is there any official release day? Im hoping to get it but im not sure if i should wait for the bugs to be worked out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
My fingers are twitching...waiting and waiting...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Is there a list of system requirements yet? I am assuming the latest model iMac Core Duo 2 range should be able to run it. Are there going to be any really big significant advantages over OSX Tiger?

Example - I don't see the point of upgrading from Windows XP to Vista when there are no real advantages. Except they are trying to make it look more user friendly and add widgets to copy OSX.

Just figuring out if I want to spend the money to buy Leopard when it comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Is there a list of system requirements yet? I am assuming the latest model iMac Core Duo 2 range should be able to run it. Are there going to be any really big significant advantages over OSX Tiger?

Everything from the the G4 to the Intel boxes will be supported. Supposedly some G3s will work as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Example - I don't see the point of upgrading from Windows XP to Vista when there are no real advantages. Except they are trying to make it look more user friendly and add widgets to copy OSX.

Just figuring out if I want to spend the money to buy Leopard when it comes out.

Time Machine is a feature that offers automatic backups, making it impossible to lose anything =)

Stacks helps you organize your dock.

New Mail.

Spaces which allows multiple desktops.

A ton more too. I think it'll be worth it. Then again I have the student discount, but still =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Hmm will wait to see about what it has to offer for what price when it's released :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You can get a glimpse of what it offers now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time Machine is a feature that offers automatic backups, making it impossible to lose anything =)

Stacks helps you organize your dock.

New Mail.

Spaces which allows multiple desktops.

A ton more too. I think it'll be worth it. Then again I have the student discount, but still =)

Auto backups won't be much use to me, I keep all my important files on a USB stick which I sync manually with my work Dell, my home HP notebook and the iMac. I sync my photos and music about once a month across the home PC's too.

Might see how much cheaper I can get now I have student discount too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Might see how much cheaper I can get now I have student discount too.

Going by previous versions, you're looking at around $69 for students, compared to $129 for full retail. Some universities will offer an even bigger discount. Check your school's computer store when Leopard is released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OO thanks for that.

The stacks feature looks really neat!

It is nifty, but it appears to be limited and doesn't allow you to put folders in the dock anymore.

For example, if I put my Apps folder in the dock now, I can right click it and get the whole list of my App in the pop-up menu. With stacks it will only show you a limited number of Apps and then you have to open the finder window to see the rest. It would be nice if it allowed you to turn stacks on or off, but it doesn't.

I also noticed that when I had downloaded some Apps and left them on my desktop, the system decided that they should be in a "stack" in my dock the next time I booted up 10.5. I found that rather annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Going by previous versions, you're looking at around $69 for students, compared to $129 for full retail. Some universities will offer an even bigger discount. Check your school's computer store when Leopard is released.

That cheap? I saw OSX Tiger for sale in Myer this week for $299 retail though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
USD to AUD is about 1.20 USD to our 1.00 so it can be THAT much difference
Maybe $20-40.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A direct conversion should only make it 150 AUD. $299 for a retail copy sounds really steep. It's literally twice the price...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM 320GB HD, 15" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4GB RAM 320 GB HDD
It is nifty, but it appears to be limited and doesn't allow you to put folders in the dock anymore . . . the next time I booted up 10.5. I found that rather annoying.

Any other first impressions with Leopard Baggs, seeing is how you have already been able to play with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
My friend has leopard installed. One of the amazing new changes is, Spotlight! It is even faster and can be used as an app launcher. And the performance after upgrading from Tiger is even faster (MBP Core Duo)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You can use it as an app launcher now can't you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any other first impressions with Leopard Baggs, seeing is how you have already been able to play with it?

Sure:

1) Spaces is cool, but I'm not sure how practical I would find it in real life. Others will love it though. I mentioned in another thread that if you have desktop widgets on your desktop, when you use spaces they do not appear on all desktops. You have to manually put them on each desktop.

2) Stacks, as I said, is cool. Other than what I have posted here I think it makes the dock look more cluttered since it is literally a "pile" of icons in the dock.

3) I personally have no use for time machine, others will love it.

4) The semi-transparent task bar, while cool at first, rapidly gets annoying. The options are difficult to see with some backgrounds. The menus that drop down from the task bar are semi-transparent as well and I noticed that if there are windows beneath them, they become hard to read.

5) I like the overall dark grey unified system look. It took them long enough to get there.

6) The default folders are just plain ugly. They are to dark for my taste so for the first time I can see myself using Candy-Bar to change them.

I'll think of more...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
7) The latest build doesn't have a "Classic" Prefs Pane so there is no way to boot into Classic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.