OWC memory for my iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Hi,

I wish to upgrade my iMac's (17") memory from 512MB to 2GB and OWC offers "Matched pairs" from 3 different manufacturers and I would like some feedback on which I should choose:

OWC (house brand) at $77.95
Techworks at $79.95
Micron Factory Original at $89.00

I almost went for the new 20" 2.4 iMac but have read too many bad comments (video, glossy screen, heat, clocked-down HD, etc.) on this thread that I decided to hang on to my white iMac for a while (till Apple rectifies certain things with the new product line).

Thanks,
Gene

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Out of those 3, would just get the OWC house brand - assuming it has lifetime warranty.

Here are some more options from newegg.

Out of the brands listed - my preferences lean toward Corsair, Mushkin and Geil in that order.

However, if I were looking, would have to consider the G.Skill and it's Cas Latency of 4 vs 5 on all the others that even bother to list it. Have a real hard time myself buying any memory that's not good enough to at least list this crucial item related to it's speed.

And I am assuming this is for an Intel C2D iMac.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Out of those 3, would just get the OWC house brand - assuming it has lifetime warranty.

Here are some more options from newegg.

Out of the brands listed - my preferences lean toward Corsair, Mushkin and Geil in that order.

However, if I were looking, would have to consider the G.Skill and it's Cas Latency of 4 vs 5 on all the others that even bother to list it. Have a real hard time myself buying any memory that's not good enough to at least list this crucial item related to it's speed.

Thanks for the info and the link to Newegg and the Corsair seems to be a good pick. But as you mentioned, the G.Skill (top of the list) would be the better choice on account of the Cas Latency of 4 instead of the Corsair's 5 (only a $10. difference).

And I am assuming this is for an Intel C2D iMac.

It's a 1.83 Intel Core Duo (white iMac 17)...

Thanks,
Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz
I added 2ghz of OWC RAM to my iMac and it's fine so far. OWC shipped it out really quickly - good customer service.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I added 2ghz of OWC RAM to my iMac and it's fine so far. OWC shipped it out really quickly - good customer service.

Thanks for the answer.

Cheers,
Gene

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.