New Tiger Disc not booting on my PowerPC or Intel Mac

Reaction score
So I posted this a few days ago,

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77180

And since then my friend has given me his backup copy of the retail Tiger DVD to see if that will work. This time when I put the disc in my PowerPC Mac Mini and hold down C when it's starting up, nothing happens, no error messages like last time. Just a blinking apple smiley face in a folder followed by a question mark.

So I decided to try it in my x86 iMac. Upon restarting the machine and holding down C I'm faced with a black screen with a little blinking bar in the top left corner.

I have no idea what that means. I don't think my disc can be corrupted because I can start the Tiger installation fine when I do it through my already existing Tiger desktop on my iMac.

Any insight would be great

Thanks
Sandy

M

MacHeadCase

Sandy, I just learned this recently myself (thanks trav!): the Tiger full install DVD will not boot Intel-based Macs, only PowerPC Macs. I believe Apple thinks that, since Intel Macs are so recent, people should still have their restore DVDs if ever a reinstall is needed.

Can your Mini read any CD or DVD at all? Is it still under warranty?

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, it boots the restore DVD's for my x86 iMac. But evidently those cd's will not work for my Mac Mini. I think someone covered that in my earlier thread I linked to. So at least I know I don't have a broken DVD Drive on my mini.

And no, it's not under warranty as I've taken it apart a few times and it's like 3 years old.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.