what's airport all about? xD

Reaction score

Hey guys!!

i'm gonna get a new mac portable computer when leopard gets out of it's cage so i wanted to get somethings clear in my mind b4 gettin it.. when i get the computer.. i wanted to use the internet maybe using the adsl line i have for the main computer i got at home.. i heard it's possible to use it wireless using an airport.. but is there another method? and if i should use the airport.. are other computers like my main one able to see my internet history and stuff? or is it private..? & will my internet speed be the same as the adsl line i got or lesser as it becomes wireless?

Thanks soo much for ya time!!

Ciaoz ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Airport is just what Apple calls its wireless devices. They're essentially the same as any other 802.11b/g/n device. So if you were to get an Airport router, your other computers would have no trouble connecting to it. The same goes for a wireless router from a different company, your Mac would connect just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
yeah, airport is not another service (as I am assuming you are thinking) but just apples name for their brand of wirless networking hanrdware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)
Also airport is dead easy to setup in comparison to other wireless routers. It also has a USB port that can be used for an external drive, printer, or pretty much anything else that's USB.

OP
Funky_Adry
Reaction score
Thanks alot!!

hey guys!!

thanks soo much for ya computer expertise.. ok.. so airport is like any other router.. cool! but does someone know if while i use the internet or so , someone can see my history or what i have on my computer..?
:D

thanks!
ciao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD
nobody should be able to see your internet history from another computer, unless you have an unsecure network and someone knows how to gain access to your computer directly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.