pioneer dvd-rw dvr106d (17" g4) help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, 512 ram, 250gb h/d 20"
My problem is that I can burn DVDs and they burns without a problem.
However once the dvd is ejected and then reinserted it wont recognize it! It spits it back out. If anyone has a solution please let me know. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Welcome, ZmacY, to Mac Forums!!

What type of files are you burning? Under what version of OS X? With what burning tool? Can you try them on any other machine and see if they are accepted? Post back and I am sure we can help!

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any type of file. 10.4.10. Im using the finder burning tool. They do work on other comps the only ones that it doesnt work on are the 17" g4 with 160gb hard drive, the 17" g4 with 80 gb has no prob.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pioneer dvd-rw dvr106d (17" g4) help!#2

Any type of file. 10.4.10. Im using the finder burning tool. They do work on other comps the only ones that it doesnt work on are the 17" g4 with 160gb hard drive, the 17" g4 with 80 gb has no prob.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I know you say it works on one but not the other but I have to ask if it's Apple Certified. If not, some burners do not work perfectly with OSX. I just put in a aftermarket DVD burner in to a PowerMac and it would let me burn with toast but the manual it came with said I had to update with some patches to run with OSX apps.
I say this because maybe the computer is works with was updated and the one it doesn't work with hasn't been updated.
Does it say supported or unsupported under disc burning in the system profiler?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This prob. is happening on two different comps. and the burners are both original, they came with the computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you posted this topic in many different forums because the first message is new to me.
If it spits the disc right out i assume the drive is no good. If the disc works fine in one machine but not the other, that's the only thing i can conclude.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would agree, except initially it accepts a blank dvd, it burns without a prob. and then I can read it without a prob. then when I eject it and reinsert it, thats when it spits it back out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you let it verify that the disc burned properly?
Have you tried discs made from other DVD burners?
Maybe it just has problems reading your personal discs?
I don't know of any setting that could cause this. Try a PRAM reset. If it continues, replace the drive. It's faulty even if some features still work.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whats a PRAM reset?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
apple, option, p, r. Hold them at startup until your computer resets and chimes a second time. You have to hold down these keys before any screen loads though. It resets a lot of the functions the computer does internally to factory defaults. No OS settings are changed and your data is safe. Hopefully doing a simple reset fixes your problem. You could also try unplugging everything first so you drain all the power.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.