startup password- how to set this

Reaction score
Ive been able to figure out how to get the computer to ask for a password when I wake it up from having been on screen saver, but How do I go about making it ask me for a password upon startup or re-start? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Go to System preferences > User accounts. In there click Login Option (I think) and there will be an option for automatic login. It's in there somewhere. I can't tell for sure cause I'm using a cr@ptop at the moment..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
They moved it. Now it's in System Preferences > Security.

No, thats the opposite of what he asked for, thats how you set up a password for returning from a screensaver. He said he has that. He wants a login password when you turn on your computer. Thats in accounts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
do just what goobimama said.
under your accounts there is an option to change login options (in the bar on the left at the bottom) (you may need to unlock the preferences) once in there there is a check box at the top you need to uncheck labled 'Automatically Login As:'

Reaction score
Curious. It seems to be in both places. Sys Pref > Security > Disable Automatic Login will give the icons to click on startup and ask for the password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Yep. It seems to be in both places.... though I think the one in Security is more powerful and will override the other one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.