OS X no longer sees camera

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
Ever since 10.4.10 was released my mac will no longer see, recognize or connect to my Canon dslr. The camera works with my PC just fine so I know its not a problem with the camera, cord or CF card.

Has anyone else heard of or had these issues?

Thanks
Layton.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
What software are you using to import images off the camera? Also check the firmware on your camera and check if there have been any updates.

OP
Laytonx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
I use Adobe Lightroom. I tried iPhoto and Aperture as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Well, to start I would recommend getting a card reader to download images, its faster and saves using your camera battery, even the cheap as ones work well. Also using a card reader your card will mount as a volume in OS X so you can open a finder window and inspect/copy/move images and files to and from it.

Your camera should have come with a software disk, Image Capture is the program you want, you can plug in your camera and have Image Capture open automatically, then select what you want to download and where you want the images to go.

If you shoot a lot of images on a regular basis, its important to avoid using Aperture/iPhoto to manage where your photos go, you are far better off setting up a good folder structure and manage your photos to suit your workflow.

I use ImageIngestorPro to import images off camera or card reader, its highly customizable and saves a lot of time once you have it setup for your needs.

Your Canon digital SLR will never show up as a mounted drive when connected to OS X, it requires software to import images off the card while directly connected to the camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Open Image Capture and check the settings in Image Capture Preferences.

OP
Laytonx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
I opened Image Capture and it was set, as it should have been, to open in lightroom. I also set it to Aperture, iPhoto and the canon software just to check. All I can say is that it didn't work. The mac still does not recognize the camera. I will simply to a reinstall and hopefully that helps.

M

MacHeadCase

A reinstall for this?!? Did you try trashing Image Capture's pref file and restarting? Path is here:

Macintosh HD -> Users -> your user account -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.ImageCaptureApp.plist.

And I second the media card reader brought up earlier by MacBurg. It's just as stable as an external hard drive and you don't have to make sure he camera either mounts or has enough juice left in its battery pack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you open the System Profiler (Apple Menu > About this Mac > More info...) and click on "USB" in the left-hand pane, does the camera show up when it's connected?

Does it show up in the main Image Capture window when its connected?

OP
Laytonx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
It does not show up in the Image Capture window but it DOES show up in the system profiler under USB-USB high Speed Bus

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.