Powerbook G4 being Unresponsive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.6Ghz, 1.5g Ram, 100G HD
So two weeks ago i come home to find that my G4 has been sitting on my bed for 2 days. Needless to say it overheated and blew something (im praying its not the logic board and am hoping its only the RAM). Any way i am getting Kernel Panic's preventing me from booting. Pulled both sticks of RAM to see if i had a dead DIMM, same response. Tried booting from a CD and that didnt work either.

Is there anyway to test the HD and the Logic Board in this current condition?I don't have another mac to throw them in unfortunately to test them and i would rather not drive to the Apple store to hear them complain that i didn't get the extended warranty then tell me its going to cost 1500$ to repair.

... If it does its going to become a Silver Paperweight as i pull my stone age PC out of retirement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
My first instinct would be to reset the pram on the machine and see what happens. I don't know how helpful that is (if at all) but I'm not very familiar with the PowerBooks, and it's the only thing I can think of. =/

If it's booting far enough to get to a kernel panic, I'd tend to doubt that it's not savable, but I suppose it could be. But look at it on the bright side. A Kernel Panic might be worse than a Major Panic, but it's not on the level of a General Panic, so it could be worse. :D

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.6Ghz, 1.5g Ram, 100G HD
Took it into the store today and found out Apple did not do a very good sodering job. Lower DIMM was bad but luckily for me Apple is going to replace the Logic Board for Free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Wow. That's the first time I've ever heard of that problem in 10 years of building and modifying computers. Obviously it's technically possible, but I've never seen a bad solder joint on a board before that wasn't caused by the user (power socket on notebooks...). Glad you got it fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.