Installing new and only HDD in PowerMac G5

Reaction score
I recently got a PowerMac G5 but it had no hard drive in it. I went out and got a SATA 320GB drive to install. Now I am trying to go ahead and install the drive but ran into a problem. I am using the 10.3 install disks on it just to get it up and running. I figure I can upgrade later to Tiger or even Leopard when available.

Now when I hold down C I get it to boot off the cdrom and I start going through the beginning of the setup process. I get to the point where it asks me to select a destination drive. In this section there is nothing available whatsoever. I then shut down and unplugged the mac and switched to the other SATA connectors and still got the same issues.

Now this drive should be otherwise unformatted as of right now and I am wondering if that is part of the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks
SuDZ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Have you tested the drive in any other machines?

OP
S
Reaction score
Have you tested the drive in any other machines?

No unfortunately I don't have any other machines that will take a SATA drive. That's part of the reason I was also wondering if it needed to be formatted ahead of time but that didn't seem like it made sense either.

SuDZ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800
You can launch "Disk Utility" from within the installer software. Try launching that and re-formatting the drive. I'm guessing it is some sort of PC format out of the box (FAT32 or other) and you can't install OSX onto it because of that.

OP
S
Reaction score
You can launch "Disk Utility" from within the installer software. Try launching that and re-formatting the drive. I'm guessing it is some sort of PC format out of the box (FAT32 or other) and you can't install OSX onto it because of that.

I'll give that a shot. I have a feeling it could be something like that since everywhere on the box only talks about being windows compaible and windows ready yadda yadda. The y probably did format it ahead of time for fat32. I can take a look and see if that is the issue when I get home.

Thanks
SuDZ

OP
S
Reaction score
I just wanted to say thanks. I went into Disk Utility and reformatted the disk and it works perfect now.

Thanks to all who helped.

SuDZ

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.