Can ANYONE access external FAT32 with Macbook?

Reaction score
I have been unable to access my external USB hard drive, FAT32 format, since the 10.4.10 update. It is definitely a fault of the update, and many people have this problem being unable to use their external hard drives (ironic as the update was meant to actually make that easier!)

My question is, can anyone at all access any USB FAT32 drive wth their Macbook? I.e is this problem for all drives and all Macbooks, or just some of us? Is there anyone out there who has no problem accessing their FAT32 drive?

(I'm getting desperate as they STILL haven't fixed this terrible problem, and I am thinking maybe changing the enclosure or something might help).

Thanks
Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
My external hard drive works just fine with my Macbook. And yes, it's formatted as FAT32

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 3gb Ram C2D Black Macbook
mine works fine as well

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i have three usb hard drives and a few thumb drives. all work just fine and are fat32, except for one old PNY attache 128 mb thumb drive that lights up once and then never mounts. I've reformatted this one on a windows machine and it still doesn't mount to my macbook. not sure why.

Reaction score
Yeah I have a mybook 500GB in fat32 firing up fine. Maybe your drive failed? My simpletech I had a few weeks ago died. That could be it.

kao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, NVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB
I have a FAT32 drive which works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I have both FAT32 and HFS+ external drives with both FW and USB interfaces and they all work fine with 10.4.10 as they did before. You might check the enclosure's manucaturer website to see if there are any know issues with it and OS X.

Reaction score
The same has happened to me. It is definitely a Mac intel duo problem as my fat32 hds all work fine on my G5 iMac (PPC) but not on either of my Macbook or MacBook Pro. All my macs are running 10.4.10 and none of my intel macs are registering my fat32 hds.
So any ideas or should I be talking to Apple direct. Cheers and hi to all as this is my first post. :)

Reaction score
Also I re formatted my USB HD to MAC OS Extended and nope, it only shows on my G5 iMac, so I am really stumped!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.