What is killing my speed?

Reaction score
Hey guys -

Right now, I have a desktop running Windows XP hardwired to my router, an Apple Airport Extreme. I also have a MacBook with OS X and an Airport Express to extend my network's range.

I just tested my desktop's speeds, getting 15,359 kb/s down and 1313 kb/s up (Comcast). The laptop, however, is getting only 4991 kb/s down and 891 kb/s up. I have full signal strength. I'm currently broadcasting on channel 11.

I have WPA encryption enabled. I've read that can make a difference, but isn't that on older hardware only?

Could it be a bad card inside the MacBook?

I tested again, this time I wired the MacBook to the router.

I was getting 12,148 down 1,321 up on the Windows desktop.

Wired to the router, I'm getting 4,355 down, 1073 up on the MacBook. This must mean its a setting on the laptop, right?

Any tips would be appreciated and if you have any questions that will help you to help me feel free to ask.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What do you get when you bypass the router and plug the Macbook or the PC directly into the Modem?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since it does it even Wired to the router that rules out any Airport issues including WPA as Wired does not use Encryption nor Airport. That is a LARGE speed drop there. Not really sure what is going on. Try Baggss suggestion and report back. That really makes no sense especially wired like that.

I take my iBook to a friends and even with Wifi 2 rooms away from his router I get with Comcast Cable 15,000+kb/s like you are getting on your PC and this is WiFi and a distance away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.