I am so sick of junk Speakers!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I used to own a set of Klipsch Pro Media speakers, supposedly a high end brand name. They were good, but something went wrong with the wiring and they wouldn't connect right after less than a year. They were hit and miss wiring and I had to play with them a lot to keep them going.

At the beginning of this year I got a set of M-Audio monitors, which are also supposed to be good and high-end. Well, right off there was a problem. If I used the auxiliary line-in jack, only the right speaker would work afterwords until I messed with the connection enough to get it working again. And now the left speaker is not working at all after going in and out.

I really can't stand it any more. I long for the old days when you had a bare wire that you showed into a clamp in the back of your speakers. If anyone knows of some really good desktop speakers that consistently work for more than a year, please let me know. Good sound quality would be great, but at this point I just want stereo sound!!

End rant.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The wires that connect with small jacks bother me also as I am an Audiophile of long standing, but I have had the best luck with my Kilpsch Pro Media's. 2 years now and still going strong. Best computer speakers I have ever owned. I am sort of Shocked though that M-Audio Monitors would have such issues. That bugs me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I feel your pain. I had a set of speakers they acted really funny for awhile. First I had to unplug them from my computer (back when I still had a PC) and could only connect it half way. If I made a full connection, only one speaker worked. I got a Mac and they still acted funny. Randomly one speaker didn't work because the connection from the sub went bad. I took it apart and couldn't fix a thing. They lasted almost 3 years though.
Now, I just use my receiver and the speakers it came with. Honestly, I wouldn't go back to computer speakers. My home theater system was like $200 and sounds a lot nicer than most computer speakers.
I would say Bose because I like the sound they produce but I've never owned a set to know how long they last. There was a set of speakers at the online Apple store I saw that someone said they dropped down a flight of stairs and they still worked. They were pyramid shaped but cost like $800.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Also surprised that you would have issues like that with either of those. Can't help a whole lot on what's out there right now. Am still using a set of 5.1 Cambridge Soundworks that are at least 6 years old now, maybe 7 or 8, not really sure, but have had them longer than any other speakers in my life. They sound great for the price paid. Although I wouldn't use them for music, most of the non-audiophile friends that come over are still impressed with them. Not enough volume to rock the house down, but plenty good for gaming, wife comes in and asks me to turn em down. Have the old stick the bare wire into the clamp in the back, dual optical inputs besides the digital din from my sound card. Were high dollar back then, but have been well worth the money for something small enough to put up all around my computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.