ipobmybmw...not!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, Retina 5K, 3.6 GHz, 64 GB Memory, 2 TB storage
I recently checked into the new way to integrate the ipod into bmw's sound system. Cool and better then iTrip. So, now excited, I talk with the BMW dealer. Bad news: it only works on the base radio system. In other words, it only integrates with the base version. I drive an X5. I have the Premium package. I can't ipod it. The dealer told me they do not expect many ipod service appts becase the car versions that the ipod attaches to are so infrequently bought, etc. Pity.

<sigh>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Wow that does surpise me. I would never have guessed that you couldn't do it on the premium setups

A

anarkhy 17

This is due to the fact that BMW only offers RCA and video adaption ports on the "base radio system" as you say, Since all of the power and jacks are used in the upgraded systems it would be nearly impossible to do, while still attaining the non-FM radio transmitter sound quality. The FM radio transmitter is not bad at all I have Sirius Satelite Radio and since the were no RCA ports on the factory stereo they used an FM transmitter and the sound is "Solid" :). Basicly how this works is you have a little box in between the Stereo and the antenna(inside the dashboard obviously) and another wire comes out of the box(it's a stereo wire) this wire usually come out of the dash where you plug it into anything you want to. the trick is if the box is activated (there are usually 4 choices 89.1, 89.3, 89.5, and 89.7) which ever one its set at, if you activate that station on your regular stereo the FM-transmitter box will recognize it and play the signal being transfered through the stereo wire instead of playing the music being transfered through the antenna.

The downside of this is that if you have an iPod, You don't get the "Seemless intergration" you do with the BMW firewire in the glovebox, like you can't get the song name on the dashboard.

A

anarkhy 17

Oh yeah and your confused about the iTrip, the iTrip allows your iPod to recieve and FM signal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
anarkhy 17 said:
This is due to the fact that BMW only offers RCA and video adaption ports on the "base radio system" as you say, Since all of the power and jacks are used in the upgraded systems it would be nearly impossible to do, while still attaining the non-FM radio transmitter sound quality. The FM radio transmitter is not bad at all I have Sirius Satelite Radio and since the were no RCA ports on the factory stereo they used an FM transmitter and the sound is "Solid" :). Basicly how this works is you have a little box in between the Stereo and the antenna(inside the dashboard obviously) and another wire comes out of the box(it's a stereo wire) this wire usually come out of the dash where you plug it into anything you want to. the trick is if the box is activated (there are usually 4 choices 89.1, 89.3, 89.5, and 89.7) which ever one its set at, if you activate that station on your regular stereo the FM-transmitter box will recognize it and play the signal being transfered through the stereo wire instead of playing the music being transfered through the antenna.

The downside of this is that if you have an iPod, You don't get the "Seemless intergration" you do with the BMW firewire in the glovebox, like you can't get the song name on the dashboard.

Somebody did their research. I am impressed

M

MoltenLava

Whatever the reason is, it's inexcusable to make an adapter that works on non-DSP and non-NAV stereo system only. It's plain silly. People who didn't opt for DSP sound or Navigation is NOT likely to buy an iPod and hook it up to the car.

What's worse is that the iPod connection goes through the CD changer hookup in the glove box, which is the SAME, regardless of DSP option or Navigation option. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work on something other than the base stereo.

M

menace3054

even if the whole ipod my bmw did work with more than 2 of their cars, its kinda a waste i think. I just plug my ipod into my 330 using the XM radio jack thing which runs off the FM modulator thing. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.