Trouble with a Logitech Webcam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.42 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 70 GB Disk, OSX 10.4.11
Having trouble with my new Logitech webcam. It's a Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX. I downloaded the drivers to run it, but for some reason, when I plug the cam itself into my usb port, it doesn't see it. Nothing comes up, it acts like I haven't even plugged it in.

Any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
nforret, Welcome to Mac Forums, from a fellow Maritimer (I am originally from Halifax)!

Re your webcam, Macs are a little restrictive about the web cams they support. In general, they only directly support Apple's iSight - that is it. And that isn't much help since these are no longer for sale, except on eBay (not a bad option by the way).

So, what to do? eCamm Networks sells the iMage web cam, which they say is fully Mac compatible - but, no microphone. See:

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/imagewebcam

They also sell iChatUSBCam, a driver that works with your webcam's native Mac OS X drivers to allow iChat to use a large number of commonly available commercial webcams. See:

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam

This may be your best bet. Before you do this though, make sure that your webcam does come with Mac OS X drivers. If not, nothing will ever make it work and you will need to get one that does at least have Mac OS X drivers.

Personally, I would go shopping at eBay - there are lots of iSights readily available there. I have bought a lot of stuff from eBay over the years. It is a great place to get good merchandise at a good price.

OP
nforret
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.42 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 70 GB Disk, OSX 10.4.11
Thank you, I ended up downloading the mac cam driver, and after some time fooling around with it, it finally worked.

Thank you. :)

PS- It's nice to hear from a fellow Maritimer. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.