my G4 switches off itself

Reaction score
Hello
everything is said in the title! For the past 4 days, my computer won't remained 'turned on' more than 10 minutes.
I can start working but the G4 turns iself off without any apparent reason.
Can anyone tell me where the problem come from??
Thank you:))

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can you tell us a bit more about your G4? Tower? Cube? iMac? Power Mac? Specs, version of OSX.

Reaction score
So, does it just turn itself off cold as if you unplugged it, or does it actually go through the process of shutting down?

OP
J
Reaction score
yes cold... like if it was unplugged. it has actually been doing that a few times before (in the last few months) but it as working well after restarting... so I didn't really care. Now, it does that everytime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I would suspect the power supply first. I would also check to make sure you don't have to much plugged into the same circuit you are running the mac on.

OP
J
Reaction score
it's a French computer and it's plugged with an adaptator (?) on a british plug. I changed the multi-plugs but nothing changed... it's been working like this for 2 years.
Maybe I should give a try with a british wire/plug instead just to see... ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Maybe, also try using a UPS and see if that changes anything. If none of that helps it is probably the power supply.

OP
J
Reaction score
I changed the wire/plug and still the same.
what do you mean by trying a UPS? is that a kind of battery?
and if it is the power supply,... is there something fixable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPS is an acronym for uninterruptible power supply. Basically it is a battery that prevents your computer from shutting down in the event of a power outage. But I think it may help in your situation if it is indeed the circuit that your computer is hooked into that is causing your problem. Try moving your computer to another area of the house on a different circuit and see if this fixes the problem first. UPS's are expensive for the good ones. If it is the power supply it can be fixed but I don't know how much it will cost.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is the Power Supply and Main fan inside the case running? It could be a heat issue. It also could be a bad Power Supply. What speed G4 is it?

OP
J
Reaction score
It's a G4/867 128/60. according to the noise it makes (as usual), I suppose that the fan is working.
I pluged it somewhere else and still the same.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have done a good cleaning inside and since, the G4 is working ok. Hope it will stay like this. Thank you for your messages.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have done a good cleaning inside and since, the G4 is working ok. Hope it will stay like this. Thank you for your messages.

Was the machine full of dirt and dust? A lot of times that alone can cause overheating and shutdowns.

Let us know if it keeps working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.