f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 f6 keys now need the fn key to work

Reaction score
When i first got my macbook i could turn up and down the volume by using just the f4 and f5 keys. Today that changed, it suddenly stopped working so i googled the issue and all I could come up with is this; I have to press the fn key+they key i want to use to actually do something.

e.g I could simply press the f4 key to lower the volume, now i have to press fn+f4 key to lower the volume. Everything else works except those keys, what gives :S ?

How can i fix this issue and go back to simply using a single key to do a task rather than using a collection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
You have simply changed the setting... to change it back..

Sysytem Prefs>>> Keyboard & Mouse >>> Keyboard Tab>>> Just UN-Check "Use F1-F12 Keys to Control Software Features"

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You may not have - Have found at least a couple of apps that will automatically put a check there in System Preferences if you choose a setting within the app that uses the function keys for shortcuts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.