iPod Shuffle not recognised by iTunes on Mac or PC

Reaction score
hi

i have just received a new ipod shuffle 1GB 2nd Gen and when i first plugged it in to my Mac it wasn't recognised by iTunes, only as a 'Volume' in Finder. I could see that it was formatted as FAT-16 which i had never heard of before, only FAT-32, so i thought i would format it for Apple (MAC OS extended - Journaled), but still it wasn't recognised. I can drag and drop files onto the Shuffle as though it was a hard drive, but nothing else. I have attempted to restore it with the Ipod reset utility, but because it isn't recognised as an ipod i get a message 'Plug in Ipod to reset it' and the 'OK' button is greyed out. I get just the same behaviour when i plug the shuffle into a PC - i.e. it shows in explorer but isn't recognised in iTunes or by the iPod reset utility. the shuffle has been plugged in for a few hours, so should be fully charged. I have tried formatting to FAT-32 as well with no joy, and repairing the disk in disk utility but it says that all is fine.

i would be grateful for any help to get my shuffle working!

thanks

nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Look on Apples software downloads page. There is a stand alone program you can grab to reset the Shuffle outside of iTunes. The iPod is supposed to be formatted as FAT-16 btw, it won't work properly with any other format but you have to let either iTunes or the above mentioned app format it properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.