Powermac g5 Upgrade?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am trying to get a recently acquired second hand mac g5 to run windows on it but i did not know that it wasn't intel based (dumb mistake). Any suggestions to get this computer to successfully and seamlessly run windows Apps. It has 320 GB of HD space, 3 GB of ram, and 2 2.0 GHz processors.

NEED HELP!!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Won't happen except in emulation, period. It simply will not do it. The PPC architecture is totally different from X86; you can't run instructions from one on the other natively. It's like forcing a square peg into a round hole, except in this case a bigger hammer won't make it fit.

You'll need this:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=virtualpc

And I don't know how well it will run. The only way to do it "seamlessly" and easily is to sell the G5 and get an Intel-based mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Virtual PC is the only thing I have heard of. I've only heard negative things about it because it's slow and doesn't work well at all.
If you really want Windows on a Mac, sell it for a new Intel based Mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The G3, G4, G5 Etc are Power PC Processors. Power PC's do not run X86 Operating Systems. Not at all.

The new Macs have Intel CPU's and will run XP with Bootcamp.

If all you really want is XP and do not care about Mac OSX, I would suggest a PC. A Mac is a waste of $$$ just to run Windows on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.