Unevenly keyboard backlight

Reaction score
Hello-

I just bought a 17" MBP last week, and it wasn't until a day or two ago I discovered the keyboard backlight is unevenly lit. An area encompassing the F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, 3, 4, 5, E, R, and T keys is much less illuminated than the rest of the keyboard, and the 8, tab, enter and right shift keys are much brighter.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks.

-TM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Mine is similar. Since it's, I'm guessing, LED lights under there that don't cover the underside 100%, it's bound to happen. I don't need the backlighting, well, ever, I never got in a twist over it. It's nice to know it's there if I ever do though.

If you think your might be excessive and you have a camera with good manual controls, take a pic and post it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
i just turned on my backlight and it seems very even to me. everything looks bright.

if you have applecare, just go in and get it looked at since you paid for the warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Just tried it on my 17"... there's more light leakage around the outside keys, but the actual brightness is pretty even. I'm not sure how this thing is lit though... if it uses a few LEDs and lightpipes or LEDs under every key or every few keys or just what.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
i don't think it's a EL panel, personally. The light is not nearly diffuse enough, and imo it's too blue compared to the "white" EL panels I've seen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
my 15" lights are even. could just be the 17" models

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Took this a minute ago... I played with the exposure a bit to exaggerate the effect just a bit. It seems pretty even to me...

OP
M
Reaction score
I appreciate the replies. It looks like my backlight is defective.

What should I do now? I don't want to exchange the whole unit as I've already put data on it, plus the LCD is perfect. Can they "repair" it? I have a feeling that will require a lengthy delay though.

OP
M
Reaction score
Geeky1's post showed exactly how a keyboard backlight should look - perfect with no noticeable variations in light.

Here's another photo of mine, this time with the contrast adjusted to show the dark void in the upper left portion of the keyboard.

http://www.comfx.com/tis/data/8523/IMG_3305.jpg

Maybe I'll go back to the store I got it at and get an exchange - it was only 8 days ago.

-TM

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yours is not right Matrix - looks as if one of the lights is non-functioning - definitely would do an exchange or see if it is an easy/quick repair. You might call and talk to them / set up an appointment first - at least to find out if they'll fix or just replace your system for you.

Couldn't deal with that myself - I am almost always using mine in a dark room.

And once you get it working properly - If you use the keyboard backlight function often - you may find Lab Tick of use to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Mine looks a lot like Matrix's. Geeky's looks great. Maybe I will take mine in when I have time. I just don't want to be out a computer for long.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.