aluminum keyboard

Reaction score
Hi
I bought the new iMac with aluminum keyboard a few weeks ago.
The keys are grubby already. can someone suggest the best cleaning method. I tried a damp cloth, but that didn't make any difference. I am reluctant to use any spray and wipe products...
My first mac, have been a pc user until now.
I tried searching but only found how to clean the older white keyboard

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Keep your hands clean. Then use a paper towel, some warm water and a little dish liquid. Works like a charm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I put my older white one in the dish washer, I haven't needed to clean my aluminum one yet. I read about this in a pc mag and decided to give it a try. It worked great, keyboard looks brand new and works fine. Just remember to put it on the top rack, turn off the heated dry option, don't use detergent, and don't have any thing else in the dish washer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 2.4ghz, 2GB/320GB
Wow. The DISHWASHER?! Really??? You mean with water, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
yea, that's how i used to clean my keyboards (before a laptop)
it works great. there is nothing in them that can be wrecked by water.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Wow. The DISHWASHER?! Really??? You mean with water, right?

Yep just let it dry out really well before hooking it back up. I let mine dry for three days before I used it again. I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't work with the aluminum keyboard because aluminum should not rust. Also make sure there is no water hiding in the USB ports before you plug it up, it might try to collect in there.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.