Application Crashes and Kernel Panics

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

For the past couple of months I have experienced nothing but application crashes all over on my MacBook. I know it's not a specific program, because it has happened in Comic Life, Safari, iTunes, iMovie, Word, etc.

So, I went online and tried to troubleshoot that. People suggested that I take out the ram and replace it (check), run disk utility off the boot disk (check), download software that repairs permissions like onyx (check) and download applications that could be doing this (check), archive and install (check), and so on.

The problem still persists: I constantly get that "the Application ____ quit unexpectedly" message.

Probably related, I can't upgrade my OS from 10.4.8 above-when I do, the OS freezes and I have to do an Archive and Install to fix it.

Today, for the first time ever, I got a Kernel Panic when the computer awoke from sleep. I restarted the computer, and it said the operating system quit unexpectedly.

This was the last straw. What can I do to stop this? I've tried everything! I used the Apple Hardware Test off of the boot disk to see if that could be the problem, and it said no problems found. However, could there be something (i.e. a faulty processor) that the test didn't find?

Should I just go to the Genius Bar? Do I tell them that I installed my own ram but then put the factory installed ram back in (will it void my warranty)?

What should I do? I beg you, please help!

Thanks a ton!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For SURE take it into the Genius Bar and tell them what is going on. With the Macbook you can put in your own RAM. They even show you how on Apples site. Since it still does it with the old RAM there is an issue somewhere. Every once in a while I get a app that shuts down but that is RARELY and if say a Web Page that Safari does not like causes it. You should not have all those apps crashing. I never have most of what you listed crash after 2 years 24 a day.

Take it into Apple!

M

MacHeadCase

This MacBook ought to be taken back pronto.

This is not normal behaviour by any means and in the other thread if I remember correctly, we suggested all we could to help you fix this software-wise. This is obviously something that we cannot advise you on.

So take it back and the sooner the better.

And once you know what the problem was, please post back the solution in case anyone else experiences the same problem as you did: knowing what to do will help them just like we tried helping you.

Good luck! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.