financial software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24"/2.4GHZ
Hello

My new iMac is being shipped to me as I type...very excited. I would like to find a comprehensive software program to handle our finances and budget. I did look at the two major programs, but found it difficult to discern if they are what we actually want. I am hoping there are members who can help point me in the right direction.

Major program requirements:
~ for Canadians
~ allows receipt entry. This is a major need for our family. I would like to enter receipts manually or by scanning (would I need a receipt scanner too or can I use our regular scanner?) , have the option to list it as a certain type of specific spending (ie Children, sub category diapers, school supplies etc, ) and have a graph print out
~ download financials from several different accounts (mine, DH, RSP etc)
~ work with a tax preparation software

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Theresa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Have you checked out Quicken for Mac? Supposed to be teh 'stuff' for macs...

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24"/2.4GHZ
goobimama

Yes, I did check it out but I could only find a Mac U.S. version. Have you seen a Canadian version available?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD
goobimama

Yes, I did check it out but I could only find a Mac U.S. version. Have you seen a Canadian version available?

If you go to Intuit Canada's Website at www.intuit.ca it will direct you to purchase the Quicken for Mac. While it is a US Program, it can be configured to work in a Canadian setting. It is what is currently recommended by Intuit Canada's website.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24"/2.4GHZ
Thanks to both goobimama and bryans83. I have searched extensively on Quicken for Mac, but have read quite a few posts that it isn't a fabulous piece of software. That being said, it's probably fine for what I want to do with it, having never used it on a PC. The Quicken for Mac info does say that I can download directly from my FI, and that is one of my major considerations. I will probably do the trial before I buy.

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
My accountant has told me on several occasions to steer clear of Quicken in general. He says it's just confusing and doesn't have a lot of other features you'd need. I could've sworn he pointed me toward QuickBooks, but it looks like that's made by Intuit too?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not currently using any finance software on my Mac - however, over the past few months - have read countless posts about how bad Quicken for Mac happens to be. It is nothing to compare with Quicken for Windows. There are several members here that have installed windows on their Mac's in major part for MS Money.

There are a few others also
Money
iBank
MoneyDance

I believe they all offer free trials

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I dropped Quicken years ago, the quality went down and they started removing features into the Pro version under Windows; I've heard nothing good about the Mac version. When I do my accounts I use iBank - it's a nice app, it's powerful enough and will do shares and investments too. There's a demo version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.