iphone unlocked, orange uk sim works, but I can't use edge!!

Reaction score
Please help anybody...

My iphone is unlocked and i can place and receive calls. Ok great. What i cannot do is use anything with edge. It just says "not subscribed to edge" over and over again.

I am working in London, and have unlocked the iphone to work with my orange uk ''pay as you go sim."

I know that orange has edge, but the guy at the store said that this doesn't make a difference because what is needed are specific edge settings for the iphone, which will only be released after the european rollout.

Do I really have to wait?? there's got to be another way...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook
No, the orange Edge settings can be found here.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Yeah, lol, me too!
Now just browsed for 15 mins... 1.9MB... this is gonna be expensive...

Reaction score
Unlocking iphone for Orange

I am working in London, and have unlocked the iphone to work with my orange uk ''pay as you go sim."

.... you've done much better than me.

I went through the software unlock process outlined here, and it finalised as it should, yet now, when I turn the phone on it says "searching" at the top right (which it didn't before). But then, after a minute or two, it merely shows the signal bar with no signal. No connection is available.

I have an Orange pay monthly account. I have made no hardware changes (should I?) and I simply transfered the sim across from my Treo 650...

Can you advise on what more I should do to start making and receiving calls with it?

Thanks

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook
Follow a decent guide Tim. I recommend hacktheiphone.com. Did the job for me.

And yea, Orange's data rates are not cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Orange will for sure update their data rates (and maybe - if we are lucky - they might even release a plan WITH INCLUSIVE DATA) - even blackberry users get a meagre 75mb max. They are bringing more and more HTC units to their network, I wouldn't be suprised if the data gets cheaper soon.

Alex

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.