whats the point of the "documents" folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" C2D 2.2Ghz SR 2GB RAM 128MB VRAM 120GB HDD
hey!

when i got my first (this) mac a month ago, i assumed that the "documents" folder inside my home directory would be for my texts, spreadsheets and so on.

i've just downloaded the trial for iwork 08, and it seems to want to use that folder as the default for opening and saving files.

what bothers me is that several programs have used that folder to store some of their files (especially microsoft, but also others)... and i really don't want to have those files mixed up with my important stuff.

so i'm asking you: do you use your documents folder? or do you have separate folders for your actual documents? if so, can you chance iwork's (and other programs') preferences as to where to look for opening/saving files?

thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I use Documents, Music, Pictures, Movies and Sites for their implied purposes. However, I don't have a flat structure in them. Instead, for Documents, as an example, I have a folder hierarchy inside, with folder trees for each of my major areas of "stuff". Ditto for the rest as well.

In general, since many programs will assume you are using the standard folders for their standard intended purposes, it is easiest not to fight the plan - just go with it and personalize it to fit your needs.

Does that help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I keep all my "Documents" like write ups, notes, bills, in my documents folder. Apart from that, I have sub folders within the Documents folder named "Projects", Websites, and some others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've always viewed the Documents folder as sort of a default "dumping ground" for anything that didn't fit neatly elsewhere. I rarely use it for anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
One advantage you may wish to consider for using the Documents, Music, etc. folders for their intended purpose is that it makes backing up pretty easy. If all of your major files are in the Documents hierarchy, and all of your digital photos in the Pictures hierarchy, etc. you can backup all of your documents with one drag n drop of Documents to an external hard drive. Ditto for Music, Pictures, etc.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" C2D 2.2Ghz SR 2GB RAM 128MB VRAM 120GB HDD
thanks!

i guess i'll sort my docs inside that folder then, if i go with iwork instead of ms office and adium instead of messenger i shouldn't have any weird program folders in there.. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I use the documents folder for all my letters, school work, forms, personal financial sheets, etc.

The only problem I've had is, when I go to "save as" I don't always get a choice where I want to put my new document. But I've found that if I go to the hardrive and go to documents, I can then drag it where I want it.

I think it's a pretty good way to keep everything organized and I've gotten used to the format.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.