• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iMacs are not overpriced

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
One thing. Dell sells more computers cause it has those really really cheap PCs, otherwise knows as POS computers.

Another reason is that most people are not aware of OS X. Big companies don't want to suddenly start using OS X so they go the windows way which is ultimately dell.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
next time you're about to get in a pc over mac argument.

stop yourself.

you're using a mac, and you know that it is better for you.
the thing that makes macs seem so much more expensive than other pc's is that you can't buy a cheap mac.

under most circumstances, the price for a mac of the same specs is usually a little higher. but you get to use os x, they don't. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The thing is, we know that OS X is superior. Even most other people know that Macs are superior. Its that there there is this preconception that Macs are expensive, and I mean, reeeally expensive and have low value for money. Well that is not true. There may be a small, almost non existent premium over other PCs, but its not as great as they think. Of course, Apple doesn't compete in the POS hardware department which is why they appear to be expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
If someone paid me good money, I might not mind using a Dell, but owning one?! My fiancé has been through two dells in the past 8 yrs. It wasn't easy keeping those hogs moving! Since I'm his tech support (don't laugh too loud), I'm terribly grateful he was an easy convert to Mac. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(what was I thinking?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Sure I could buy a cheap Dell but all I would have is a cheap Dell. I could custom build a really high end machine for what Dell charges for their mid range equipment but I still wouldn't have a Mac. I like Macs and I love OS X so I pay for the slightly more expensive hardware. Thats really what this argument boils down to, if you want a PC then Dell is great option if you don't know how to build your own. If you want a Mac you have to go to Apple and pay their price. Also most people who are in the market for a new computer already have a monitor and in that case the Mac Mini is a great option. It has enough power to compete with the low to mid range Dells and you still get OS X. The mini is a great computer for most people who don't want to play high end games or use professional level applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I don't neg rep... but neither do I appreciate the name calling, even in jest. Some people are not technically savvy. *shrug* He kills my snakes (literally!), I don't mind trouble shooting his electronics. :)

Btw, what I was referring to by not laughing too loud? I'm no IT genius!! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
I know I really shouldn't get involved in this, but somehow I feel compelled to.

The whole mac vs. pc argument is stupid. It's idiotic. It's completely asinine. To make a blanket statement that Macs are superior to PCs (OR vice-versa), period, without qualification or exception is an extremely ignorant position for a person to take.

There are certain things that Windows PCs are better at than Macs, and there are certain things that make OSX a better solution for some people than Windows. There is no absolute right or wrong here; an individual's needs will determine which platform is right for them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The whole mac vs. pc argument is stupid. It's idiotic. It's completely asinine. To make a blanket statement that Macs are superior to PCs (OR vice-versa), period, without qualification or exception is an extremely ignorant position for a person to take.

There are certain things that Windows PCs are better at than Macs, and there are certain things that make OSX a better solution for some people than Windows. There is no absolute right or wrong here; an individual's needs will determine which platform is right for them.
Smartest.
Best.
Most Logical Answer.

EVER.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I know I really shouldn't get involved in this, but somehow I feel compelled to.

Smartest.
Best.
Most Logical Answer.

EVER.
Agreed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I don't think the iMacs are overpriced. Saying that, you may be able to configure a similar Dell for cheaper or close to the iMac price. What most fail to realize is the cost of the software. You have to purchase anti-virus with a year of updates, of course renewable. You will have to purchase some form of office productivity software (whether it is M$ office or not).
I think PCs have a higher up start cost than Macs when your done purchasing software and services. As we know the iMac got that right out the box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I don't think the iMacs are overpriced. Saying that, you may be able to configure a similar Dell for cheaper or close to the iMac price. What most fail to realize is the cost of the software. You have to purchase anti-virus with a year of updates, of course renewable. You will have to purchase some form of office productivity software (whether it is M$ office or not).
I think PCs have a higher up start cost than Macs when your done purchasing software and services. As we know the iMac got that right out the box.

Did Apple start bundling iWork with the new iMacs?

And of course you could argue this the other way. If some one wants to switch and has PC software, then they have to purchase OS X equivalents. Most likely, some one that buys a PC, even if it is thier first, doesn't mean it's the first that they've used or that they have software for, where as a large majority of Apple computer purchases are first time buyers and users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black iPod Video (30GB). iPhone 3G 8GB. 13" Unibody MacBook 2.4ghz.
When I first looked into macs a year ago, I thought the prices where a bit higher (not enough to make me upset) than pc. I asked a one of the guys at the store why they cost more and he said the best thing ever : "It has a OSX on it. " :p

I've noticed alot of dell bashing on this forum. Did they become a terrible company recently. My dell is almost three years old and I haven't had a single problem. Plus, I can still run all the new games at med-sometimes high graphics with decent framerate, and it is just a dimension, not a XPS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
babarnette & D3v1L80Y: thanks :)

What most fail to realize is the cost of the software. You have to purchase anti-virus with a year of updates, of course renewable. You will have to purchase some form of office productivity software (whether it is M$ office or not).

OpenOffice is free on both OSX and Windows, and AVG makes a very, very, VERY good free antivirus program for Windows that's updated regularly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.