Emac 700mhz jet engine?

Reaction score
HI

Just got myself a cheap emac from ebay uk. for £85.00 all in
I used to own as slow imac g3 but I have the emac now
the fan is very loud on it. it does not sound like its faulty. but is very loud.
Any ideas?

I normal use PCs but please do not hold that against me lol.

Also I can up the ram to 1gb but will cost around £40.00 using ebay as i find thats cheaper to do. would it be worth doing it. as internet etc is slow.

Video playback on youtube on full-screen is jerky too but fine normal size?
Running mac os x 10.4.10
cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This should help a bit. Tells about RAM and what kind. That seems to be the first of the eMacs so the video card might not be that great. You Tube videos are not that smooth on older machines.

http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/emac.html

How much RAM does it have right now?

On that fan, it might be going out. I do not remember the eMac's that I have messed with being that loud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
What kind of noise is the fan making? You said it doesn't sound like it's faulty, but I'm curious. Is it a grinding or growling or clicking noise? Or does it sound like air moving... a whooshing noise or maybe even something like a hairdryer?

OP
F
Reaction score
fan

Hi
its got 384mb ram on pc133
the fan does sound like its running right with no strange sounds but justs seems loud. not sure as I have never had emac before.
idea if i could slow the fan down?

cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
384 Megs is a bit low for OSX Tiger. You can upgrade to 1GB and i would if you can afford it. That might help a bit with some of the slowness if it's caused running out of RAM which can happen easily with that little RAM running Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Since I don't own an eMac, I can't answer this, but can you open the case up and identify which fan is the culprit? Usually, computers may have three fans: one for the CPU, one for the Graphics unit and one for the case itself. Any one of those could be the problem. If you can identify the one that is bad, and have access to change it, I would recommend going to:

http://www.endpcnoise.com

and buying one of their silent fans of a compatible size. I have purchased from these guys for years. Very reputable, very high quality stuff. I have never changed out fans on a Mac before, but I have used EndPCNoise's fans to create virtually silent PCs.

...and lest you worry, fans are fans. They are not PC or Mac specific usually. They come in standard sizes (80mm, 90mm, 120mm usually). Look for the one with the lowest ambient noise rating and you will be very happy.

Of course this all assumes you can get into the eMac to identify and change out the offending fan. That may be a bad assumption. Can some current or past eMac owners comment?

No matter what, even if you have to take it to an Apple store, get it fixed, for the sake of your own sanity! I had an old HP PC many years ago that roared like the back side of a jet engine - I couldn't STAND it, and it was what got me onto the silent PC kick. The aggravation from the constant noise will sour your experience. I would strongly recommend either fixing it yourself or getting it fixed by Apple.

OP
F
Reaction score
I have been building my own PC's for around 10 years now and thinking of the noise these fans make i cannot remember one been this loud. apart from cheap power supplys LOL
it looks like its a 120mm fan

I should be able to change it but I will have to sort out discharging the crt first as I am not sure about that as its not some thing i have had to do before even when i have tekan crts part for the pc before.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
That is smart fantom4. I hear that they can pack a real punch. Or, just be VERY careful when working inside the case? :D ...this is NOT a recommendation!!

OP
F
Reaction score
That is smart fantom4. I hear that they can pack a real punch. Or, just be VERY careful when working inside the case? :D ...this is NOT a recommendation!!

I remembered that if you take out power cable and quickly press the power button that dischargers it. well at least trys to turn itself on.

I was able to change hd and dvd and here to tell the tale. just got to get memory now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.