Specific websites don't load

Reaction score
I have an iMac G5 connected to the internet through a cable modem. It has three different browsers, all of which have been giving me the same problem. Most websites seem to load with no problems, but a very small number that I have discovered will not load at all. One of these is the netflix website which I need to be able to access. I had no problems with this until about 10 days ago. I have cleared all of the cookies, all cache and temp files, and turned everything off and recycled the cable modem. I even scanned my iMac for viruses and spyware (you can see that I am really reaching for anything here). Nothing seems to work. I have had a couple of friends hook up their laptops to my cable modem, and they experience the same problems. Does anybody have any ideas as to what I can do about this?

Reaction score
I have just tried that site and seems to load ok using netscape navigator.
I have been having problems with ebay on safari and ie. ebay keeps saying cannot load page etc. sometimes a refresh works but not very often , but netscape seems to work no problems so far?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have no issues here loading Netflix at all in Safari. Not sure what is happening on your end.

OP
C
Reaction score
As I said, I have several different browsers and none of them will load the pages. Netflix is just one specific page that I mentioned. I also can't load cnnsi.com, or buy.com just to name a couple more. I had a couple of friends try to access them using my cable modem. Two different laptops, a mac and a pc, experience the same problem when using my modem, but not when using the ones they have at home or at work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I think I heard you say that you had no problems until a few days ago, none of your Mac browsers will load the pages of interest, and several friends' laptops, when connected to your cable modem, also won't load them anymore.

I am going to guess that at least one of the friends was using a PC? If so, this isn't a problem specific to your computer or even to Macs, but rather with your DSL connection itself.

That points at a firewall change in your router or a security control at your ISP, either of which is now blocking the pages, potentially as unsafe. Is this possible?

One other possibility - do you AND your friends have Norton installed? My wife has the problem all the time - they change their list of "unsafe" sites and suddenly she can't load her favorite harmless page because Norton blocks it. This is a long shot, given the number of computers you have tried this with, but if not Norton, is it possible that all of the computers in question were using a common security package?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Who is your ISP? Is it just a Cable Modem or do you also have a router? Does the Cable Modem have a Router built in?

OP
C
Reaction score
I am forced to use Ygnition internet service here in my apartment complex (worst ISP I've ever had). I am still having issues, and I ran traceroute to see if it would reveal anything. The packets bounce around for a while with no problems but then hit one site/router and give me an endless string of asterisks. I know this can sometimes be a false indicator, but here it is most definitely the site timing out.

I have a cable modem with a wireless router attached to it. The problem occurs when I am connected wirelessly, connected directly to the router, or connected directly to the cable modem itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.