• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

JVC- GZ - HD7 vs Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
My one question is will my Macbook Pro be able to handle this beast of a camera? My MBP as you can see from my specs is 2.4 GHZ C2D, 2GB ram, 256 Geforce 8600GT.

Now incase you don't know about this camera the Jvc gz-hd7 records at full HD. ( 1920x1080), 30mbps. I'm looking to get it in about a month or two. Here's some info about it.

www.camcorderinfo.com/content/JVC-GZ-HD7-Camcorder-Review.htm

Now someone mentioned to me that my comp wont be able to edit the full HD quality.

Does anyone have input into this?
Any input about the camera in general?
Would it benefit me to grab 4GB ram ?

Thanks,

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Your MBP should be able to edit that without a problem. 4 GBs would help in speeding up the conversion process, but then again, the 4 GBs are expensive enough ot put in. What software will you be using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you will not have a problem at all, i've used professional equipment with my macbook pro (2.16) while I was not able to use my quad and it ran fine.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea i'll be using either Final Cut Studio 2, or Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 (now thats it's universal). They'll be able to handle it.

Does anyone know about the camera itself though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 10.4 Intel duo,iMac 10.5.5 2Ghz Core Duo G4 Notebook x2
:Oops:
My one question is will my Macbook Pro be able to handle this beast of a camera? My MBP as you can see from my specs is 2.4 GHZ C2D, 2GB ram, 256 Geforce 8600GT.

Now incase you don't know about this camera the Jvc gz-hd7 records at full HD. ( 1920x1080), 30mbps. I'm looking to get it in about a month or two. Here's some info about it.

www.camcorderinfo.com/content/JVC-GZ-HD7-Camcorder-Review.htm

Now someone mentioned to me that my comp wont be able to edit the full HD quality.

Does anyone have input into this?
Any input about the camera in general?
Would it benefit me to grab 4GB ram ?

Thanks,

Josh

No I don't think you will need additional RAM, however I too have a HD-7 and must warn you, that any editing you do using iMovies 8 will result in quality loss. The JVC files are TOD files which need to be converted BEFORE you can edit them. Best way is to export them having first opened the file with QT 7.2 pro. Export them to another file on your desk top or to Movies from whence you can drag them to iMovies. sounds convoluted? It is, and that just about sums up the relationship between JVC's new HD-7 and Mac, fullstop.

Cheers and good luck, Swaza

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What else do you like about the cam?
I love the fact that it has a manual focus ring.
And i might pick up the extra ram just incase, i was going to anyways.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.