WPA2 Personal

Reaction score
I'm trying to secure my wireless connection with a WPA2 Personal Key. No matter how carefully I enter it in both the linksys router and my mac, it says it's the wrong password.

This is really driving me crazy -- I can't get WEP to work either. Any ideas for a work around?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
check your router settings password page. There should be a few passwords, a short one that you created, and one, or more of a more complex password that the router creates. Try the complex one. I have the same problem with the Linksys router at work, not sure why it doesn't accept the short one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 MBP Glossy 2GB Ram
if you are going to use WEP on a MBP you have to put a " $ " in front of your WEP code. well that is what i had to do..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
WPA2-Personal

On my linksys router, I set it as WPA2-Personal, but no matter how much I click on the network and enter the right settings, my Airport does not connect. Its not like I have to set my mac to use the network; but I have to set the network to the mac. I have to use WPA-Personal instead of WPA2.
I tried to connect it manually by entering the correct parameters, but I always get the message, "the network does not use that encryption".
Who is this mac to tell me that the network uses that encryption or not. I know it does, I set it that way. Why can't it just connect?

Really frustrates me that I cannot use the network type I want to... but my computer has to give me the orders on what it wants to use.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A possible reason you have to use WPA personal rather than the stronger WPA2 is that your Mac airport does not support the stronger encryption or you have not set it up correctly. Which year model of Mac do you have? Which version of OS X are you running?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
Well if I try it enter the network manually by putting in the name and type and password, I'm able to select WPA2 Personal. But if I try to connect to it automatically, although I've set it to WPA2 on the router, my mac always shows the encryption as WEP and won't let me select anything else.
The problem is always that computers that support WPA2 don't work as well when you set it to WPA. My mac is a PowerMac G4 running Panther.

I've finally decided to use WPA2-Mixed. This allows WPA and WPA2 so that both are happy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.