Utilizing Mac Pro processors

Reaction score
Hello

I just purchased a Quad-core Mac Pro 2.66 ghz, and I added 4gigs of RAM.

I'm trying to figure out how the 4 processors work. First of all, when I view the Acitivity Monitor, the %CPU never exceeds 100%. Does this mean I'm only using one processor? My assumption is that I have 400% of processing power.

Also, when I run certain apps (like Handbrake) it takes over an hour to copy home videos. I expected this to be a bit quicker.

I'm sure my computer is running fine, but how do I max out the quad core processors?

Thanks.

T~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I opened activity monitor. What percentage (User, System, Nice, Idle) are you saying is at 100%?
If you're user is at nealy 100% you would be using all the processor(s). That percentage is for all the cores, not just one.
I prefer using menu meters. It gives me a temperature and percentage of each core used. It updates every second or two.
I've used handbrake and I've copied a disc and it will take a few hours because I do two passes. My processor only maximizes at 20% and I use a few hundred more MB of RAM but my system is stable so I can do other things.
I assume running your computer at full capacity for long periods at time wouldn't be such a good thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.