Problem with switching program defaults

Reaction score
On my Mac, iTunes is the default program for opening MP3 files. I would like to change that to Quicktime instead. I think I'm doing it correctly, but it does not seem to want to work...

I CTRL + Click on the MP3 file. I choose "Open With" and I see a list of potential programs. I choose "Other". I then find Quicktime in the list and I check the box that says "Always Open With".

This seems to affect that file only, not the rest of the MP3 files in that folder (and the rest of the my computer). I am looking to make the change on a global level (my whole computer, not just one file or one folder). Can anyone help out?

Reaction score
Is there not a setting in the QuickTime options to set it as the default player for certain files?

<>Edit<>

This might work:

Launch Quick Time: Then go to Edit > Preferences > Quick Time Preferences > File Types > Then select the files you wish to open with Quick Time as there default

Hope that works :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
In the get info window, under open with there is also a button which says 'Change All' this will change all .mp3 files to open with quicktime

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Brushed aluminum type Imac :)
ahh I see I was wondering something similar as well!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.