Panther crash

Reaction score
hi all,

I have an iBook G4 purchased in August 2004.
It runs on OSX Panther 10.3.3.

Problem is, OSX now seems corrupt for some reason. The Mac help menu just goes blank when accessed, no info displayed. Also other OSX applications' help menus -ie iTunes, iPhoto- suffer from this.
Also, when Safari crashes for example, even the button to send the crash
info to Apple via the popup window does not work, the window just disappears.

I attempted a clean install-erase and install option from the OSX installation cd menu-to clean the disk completely for a fresh install.
I attempted this more than once, but it seems to have the same problem every time just after a few uses of the OS, even when updating to 10.3.9 from 10.3.3.

Is this just a bad install that simply needs to ne reinstalled? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, emanresu00.

I hope this might helpful to solve your problem, Troubleshooting Help Viewer. :)

Let us know if anything in there works and if the problem is solved, post what fixed it: it might help someone else having the same problem.

Good luck!

OP
E
Reaction score
I have actually performed a clean install now and it seems to be fine. However
the troubleshooting info below is very helpful if one wants to just fix the help viewer and not reinstall the OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.