Unlock question...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I am probably getting an iPhone but I am going to need to unlock it. Does anybody what will happen when I first plug it into my mac and itunes? Will it request I activate it with AT & T or is the sync with mac strictly based off Apple?

Basically, what I am saying is if I buy an iPhone will they know it isn't registered as an iPhone with AT & T? This is important because I will still be using the phone with AT & T service I just dont want nor can I have the 20 month charge on my family plan.

Edit: One more thing. Has anybody done a unlock yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
When you first connect the iPhone to your computer, iTunes will start the activation process.

Now if you plan on unlocking it and using it with another AT&T SIM card, then you'll want to quit iTunes and run the activation software. This would also be the time to unlock the phone. Then you should be able to swap out the SIM card that comes with the iPhone for one with a plan that you want to use the iPhone on.

I haven't unlocked my iPhone for the simple reason that I have no use for it.

OP
Shannonb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you first connect the iPhone to your computer, iTunes will start the activation process.

Now if you plan on unlocking it and using it with another AT&T SIM card, then you'll want to quit iTunes and run the activation software. This would also be the time to unlock the phone. Then you should be able to swap out the SIM card that comes with the iPhone for one with a plan that you want to use the iPhone on.

I haven't unlocked my iPhone for the simple reason that I have no use for it.

How do I get quit iTunes and run the activation software? I'm lost lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz CD 2 GB RAM, 23" Samsung HDTV/Monitor , JBL Creature II, Apple Xbox 360,
wait wait, I have a TMobile plan with unlimted data, and text, so your saying that i can buy an iphone, unlock it for free? and use my existing tmobile plan on it and still pay the same price?

OP
Shannonb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wait wait, I have a TMobile plan with unlimted data, and text, so your saying that i can buy an iphone, unlock it for free? and use my existing tmobile plan on it and still pay the same price?

Yes, but you the unlocks are not garantueed to work or not to screw up your phone. Also, firmware updates may relock the phone.

But yes, you could do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
How do I get quit iTunes and run the activation software? I'm lost lol.

Well, for starters, you have to actually get the activation program ;P

Just quit iTunes and start up iNdependence and it'll give you the option to activate the iPhone.

I haven't unlocked my iPhone, so I can't really help you with that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.