hello kind souls...

Reaction score
Can there be a problem with making an mp3s with filevault turned on, like, if I want to send it to a friend will it work, or will it be encrypted and unreadablle by my friend?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would have answered but never used Filevault. Will see what I can find and get back to you.

It seems to encrypt everything in your Home Folder under /Users. If it does everything in that folder and your music is there, it would make sense it would be encrypted.

I could be wrong, but that is what I found in a quick search. I hope someone else who has used Filevault will speak up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
My guess is that it would be encrypted on your home volume, like everything else there, but if you emailed it, put it on a USB stick/drive... or in some manner took it out of your home volume, I suspect it would be stored unencrypted. If this was not the case, FileVault would be of very limited usefulness.

Reaction score
I've used it in the past, and have sent some MP3 recordings to a friend. It works without any problems. On the off chance you have problems with it, you're always able to revert back to having it unencrypted.

OP
majicdragon@mac
Reaction score
Ok, sory for the prodding, and thank you both very much. I think you are right in that it is unencrypted on the way out. I sent a small one to downstairs, had some problems, but you know PC...

I was uploading reversals of a george bush speech, and got the words sent but one guy said it didn't work. I just hope its him. I would be a day un-filevaulting.

Reaction score
Ok, sory for the prodding, and thank you both very much. I think you are right in that it is unencrypted on the way out. I sent a small one to downstairs, had some problems, but you know PC...

I was uploading reversals of a george bush speech, and got the words sent but one guy said it didn't work. I just hope its him. I would be a day un-filevaulting.

To be sure, you could always try it with me. My AIM is MK1Rab. I have a Mac, so you know. ;) :D

OP
majicdragon@mac
Reaction score
Thanks for your willingness to help. It seems to work for everyone now. One Guy said it wasn't working. I guess it was just him. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.