Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
No can do....built into the motherboard

OP
the_New_guy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
you mean it is a part of the same board or is it soldered on.

coz if it is soldered on then it can be change.(i will kill the warranty)

M

Matt

Good luck,

If it is soldered on, just remember one mistake on the mother board, and your up for $$$

Plus, I've heard that even when off, the CRT has 10Kv-12Kv charge.

OP
the_New_guy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M

michaelcm

Yes, I agree 32 mb vram is not very good...I have 128 on my pc and I still have troble with some games(i also have 512 Ram and an 80 gig HD)i think i might need to upgradesoon.

OP
the_New_guy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
apple should add this to upgrade option like ram, etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
A CRT doesn't maintain it's high voltage charge when it's off. But if your afraid, just wait a couple of minutes after plugging it out.

It is not technically impossible to upgrade your VRAM, all you need to do is find the memory chips on the motherboard, solder them out, buy some compatible 64MB or even 128MB chips and solder them in. Very simple, isn't it?? ;-)

You need some really good electronic skills to do that, plus the risk of killing your eMac if anything goes wrong. And I can't guarantee that it will recognise the additional memory.

A

Animatronica

READ this before you do anything inside that Emac!

A CRT doesn't maintain it's high voltage charge when it's off. But if your afraid, just wait a couple of minutes after plugging it out.

That comment is FALSE. A CRT WILL maintain high voltage EVEN if its OFF. CRT moniters maintain high voltage for YEARS. Even after 5 years they would be able to maintain enough power to kill someone. It is very IMPORTANT that you short out the moniter BEFORE you go fidleing in an open case. Because even if you dont touch it..the electricity can jump from the moniter into your self. and dont be naive and say it cant happen as it can. I've seen it happen before. Short the moniter out FIRST.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I concur with Animatronica. You are putting your life in your hand if you don't discharge the CRT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Ok, well, I should have detailed out my comment.
Modern CRTs discharge when you turn them off. Older ones of course have to be short out...

Nevertheless, CRT or not, doing soldering modifications on a computer's mainboard is only for experts in electronics (which, of course, know how to handle a CRT). The risk of killing the computer is just way too high, and not worth the upgrade.

OP
the_New_guy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
after a few years when i get a new computer i will try (also only if i have some extra bucks)

OP
the_New_guy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
do you think the will put agp 8x slot on the new emac?

like the g5 imac

O

octohunter

I hate to say it but I think the emacs are on their way out. They are a very low margin item for Apple and the shipping charges are so much greater than any other item. Just look at how cheap they just made the new imacs. One or two more generations and they'll be priced down near the emacs. It upsets me to think that but I feel it true. So, waiting for any real advancements, aside from maybe one more generation, in the emacs I feel is wasted time.

OP
the_New_guy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the emacs will never go, it's name may change but apple will always have a cheap comp in the line up. form where i come even rs70000 for a pc is not cheap, let alone 180000rs for a imac

O

octohunter

Good point. I guess I meant to refer specifically to an emac with a big tube. But hey, pretty soont he G5 imacs will be priced down by the emacs.

P

PinkPhishDoors

I personally DON'T believe that apple will be getting rid of the emacs.... Remember the reason we have emacs-edjubacation, I know personally that the new iMac, and the flat panel would not last a week in a rough college lab, it can get pretty ugly in there. If you have ever been near an eMac then you know that they are pretty durable. I know that in NC state that they have cardboard people in the lobby of each building, inplace of there head is an eMac and their hand are sticking out giving access to a keyboard and mouse... pretty cool :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.