Hand-me-domn iMac missing apps

Reaction score
Hello, I'm fairly new to using Macs, and I need some help.

I was given a hand-me-down iMac running OSX, and on the dock there were three translucent questions marks. When I put the cursor over each one, they said; iChat, Mail, Address Book.

Clicking them would not open the application. I can not find these applications in the Applications folder. I removed the question marks from the Dock.

Where did the apps go? How can I find them, or get them back?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
Did the person who gave you the machine give you the OS X installation CDs? I imagine you'll probably need them to attempt any sort of recovery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
seconded.
if the apps are gone, they are gone, and that's it.
you would need your install discs, or a tiger (or w/e version of os x you have) disc to get them back. however, you can also find third party apps to do the same things, if you can't get the discs.
the only one i know of off hand is thunderbird which is a freeware mail app made by mozilla.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
My guess is that they person who owned it last Trashed those apps, thinking that it would keep you from seeing their mail, addresses, and chat buddies.

Not the best way to go about it, but that's what I think they were thinking.

You'll need a Mac OS install disk, as CArmstrong and ki99 have said.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.