BootCamp; Sound Issue

Reaction score
Hi Peoples,

So I installed BootCamp and dual-booted my Mac with Vista. It runs awesome and I'm exceptionally happy with it. The one problem is the sound. Upon the initial installiation of Vista, plus the driver disc that BootCamp prompts you to create during the setup process - it self installed 'Realtek HD Audio Manager' on Vista. The sound works fine and dandy, but the problem lay in the distortion behind it. If I'm playing a game (Halo for example), when there is no or little noise (i.e. footsteps) it sounds as if theres continual distortion in the background. It sounds almost similar to water boiling or general crackling. Has anyone run into the problem before? If so, what is the best way to clear the sound to make it nice and crisp again?? Thanks for your time peeps

- Beau =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4 gHz, 2 gb RAM
I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I'm running XP in Boot Camp, and when I mute the sound, it doesn't cut off entirely. Instead, you get this low level distortion, which sounds a lot like what you describe. It sounds sort of like that hiss you used to get with a really bad tape record, only you can hear other scratchy sounds as well. I don't think I hear it through headphones, though. It sounds like it's just through the external speakers, and I don't get this noise in OS X.

I haven't tried that hard to really figure out how to fix it yet, or if there is a solution. I did pull up the Realtek Audio Manager, but couldn't see a setting or anything to change it. I think I tried checking "mute" in the Audio Manager with not effect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.