True Switcher Now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 24" Core 2 Duo 4gb RAM
Been here for awhile now, but now I consider myself a true Mac switcher. I sold all my PC's in April and now have a macbook and an iMac.

My last MS holdout was my Dell x51v PDA. I sold that a few days ago and bought a iPod iTouch today at BestBuy.

So now I'm completely Apple :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Haha, I relate! I sold my ThinkPad and got a PowerBook this past week. Feels good to be exclusively Mac. :D

Reaction score
I only use my MacBook when I’m at school.

At home I still use PC because:
1. It's cheaper to leave it as it is
3. I'm too lazy to setup a new computer environment
2. MacBook AirPort is incompatible with my wireless AP

I hate Microsoft quite adequately.

Above are the same reasons why PC is still the industry standard. It'll cost me a few hundred dollars and hours worth of effort to convert my PC environment into Mac. It'll cost companies millions of dollars and hundreds of hours worth of manpower to do the same.

The Microsoft Empire will fall due to its inability to let go of the past, give it another decade or less before we forget the name “Microsoft” and embrace open source.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 24" Core 2 Duo 4gb RAM
Congrats!!! Great feeling isn't it? :D

It IS great! Been a PC user for over 20yrs, talked smack about Mac without ever trying one, because it was the PC thing to do. Now I put the smack down on PC ;)

Reaction score
what AP do you have?

DL-614+, it's one of those old Dlink routers using 802.11b.

AirPort uses 802.11n so I believe thats the reason.

Any idea how to change the frequency settings on the AirPort?

70% of the people tell me to "upgrade firmware" because they believe 90% of problems can be fixed that way.

PersonA: "Oh god my wife is about to leave me..."
PersonB: "Have you upgraded your firmware?"
PersonA: "Let me try and see if that fixes the problem."

Sorry if this post sounded critical, but I really needed to vent to the world that firmware is not ALWAYS the solution... especially when the case involves an outdated router, which the manufacturer no longer supports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
nice move. welcome to our world ! :D

im sure you'll love it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I wish I could do that too. Unfortunately, some of the software I use work only on Windows. Therefore I have to go back to Windows occasionally.

You are so lucky ;)

kao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, NVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB

I thought they were 802.11b/g/n so should work with almost all?

Sorry, I can't help much though =p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

All AirPort cards support 802.11b. No changes or configuration necessary.

Just make sure that
1. You know what type of encryption, if any, is being used (WEP-40, WEP-128, WPA-PSK...)
2. You know what the password/key for the router are, if any
3. The router is not set up to block unknown MAC (Media Access Control) device addresses

Reaction score
All AirPort cards support 802.11b. No changes or configuration necessary.

Just make sure that
1. You know what type of encryption, if any, is being used (WEP-40, WEP-128, WPA-PSK...)
2. You know what the password/key for the router are, if any
3. The router is not set up to block unknown MAC (Media Access Control) device addresses

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

The connection is functional at approxiamately 50% of the time, which indicates to me it is a frequency issue.

My sister's PC which is using a wireless-usb works without problem under the same environment.

When I'm at uni, the MacBook/AirPort works flawlessly.

This eliminates a lot of possibilities and narrows it down explicitly to the router and Airport connection.

Reaction score
I sold my WOW Vista Compaq laptop ;-) and bought an iMac. Then I deleted MS Office Trial from my iMac and use iWork only.

Then I sold my Windows Mobile Treo (and had to buy a Sony Ericsson, cuz the iPhone is not available in Canada) Then I sold my Linksys Router and bought the Airport Extreme Base Station, a beautiful device. So, Apple, get me my iPhone. Now, I just have to sell my 2nd generation iPod Nano and buy the new iPod Nano.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

The connection is functional at approxiamately 50% of the time, which indicates to me it is a frequency issue.

My sister's PC which is using a wireless-usb works without problem under the same environment.

When I'm at uni, the MacBook/AirPort works flawlessly.

This eliminates a lot of possibilities and narrows it down explicitly to the router and Airport connection.

I've used one of the d-link routers and experienced similar problems. What it came down to is that the router can use a non-standard wireless signal to boost the speed of the 802.11b. If it's used exclusively with d-link wireless devices it'll jump up to the 22+ speed and will not downgrade when non-d-link wireless devices try to join the network, so you won't be able to connect or it'll connect but then not work (if I remember right, an iBook and a G4 mini wouldn't connect at all). If an 802.11b device is the only thing on the network, it'll use 802.11b even if one of the 22+ enhanced devices later connects-- and in that case, all standard 802.11b devices will work, so long as the router doesn't jump back to the non-standard protocol. That would explain why you have the intermittent problem. The fix is to reconfigure the router so that it will only use 802.11b and not jump up to d-link's non-standard faster protocol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Gratz!!! I did the same thing last year (except for my Palm Treo 700p) but both my computers at home and my office are Mac's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
I got a new PC at work 2 weeks before getting the iMac at home and I was just amazed with how nice it was and fast (Dell).
Then I got the iMac and now I think this Dell is a piece of shite. LOL!

I've got an iMac C2D at home, HP Centrino notebook (to be Macbook at replacement age), and a self built Athlon XP2200+ media centre.

My phone is a O2 Atom Exec XDA. Not too bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.