A few questions about OSX

Reaction score
I will probably be switching to mac within 3 months (getting a macbook pro), and I have a few questions.

1. Is it worth the $500 difference between the 2.2ghz Macbook pro and the 2.4ghz macbook pro, along with the graphics cards differences? What are the noticeable differences between the two, performance-wise. How much more can the 2.4ghz model (15.4") handle, graphically?
2. How well does VMware Fusion work? does it run XP and Vista pretty well, or does it lag alot, or is it slow?
3. When running XP or Vista (using bootcamp) can it handle as much, graphically, as any PC based Laptop with the same specs?
4. For bootcamp, am I able to install my Windows partition to an external drive, and connect it when I want to boot to windows, or do I have to install the partition to my internal drive?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
2. I use parallels Desktop and I have XP on that. I normally put my virtual machine in suspension, which is like putting XP in hibernate mode. It runs pretty well for simple tasks such as MS word etc. However I have 1 gig of ram and it takes about 40sec-1-min for it to load up completely from suspension

3. Yep it can, because having windows under bootcamp is just like having windows under on a dell, acer hp etc....

4. I don't think you can install Windows under boot camp in a external HD, it as to be an Internal one

OP
D
Reaction score
about 4. are you sure, or do you know if it will be supported later? because since I will be doing gaming on windows, and barely anything else, I just wanted to buy a small external drive to install it on so the games were not taking up a large amount of space on my internal drive.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
about 4. are you sure, or do you know if it will be supported later? because since I will be doing gaming on windows, and barely anything else, I just wanted to buy a small external drive to install it on so the games were not taking up a large amount of space on my internal drive.

Unfortunately, no - Windows can only be installed on an internal hard disk. This is a limitation of Windows itself and not the Mac - just as you can't install Windows on an external hard drive on a standard PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
okay, thanks.

Does anyone have a answer to #1?

Edit:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Boot_Camp_Windows_XP_On_External_Drive

found a solution, if it works.

That depends on what you are going to be using your computer for. Really only you can answer this for yourself. If you are a big gamer you might be better served by the faster processor and more graphics memory. If you are a casual gamer and won't be using the computer to do anything too graphics intensive you might be better served by the less expensive one. I just got my Mom a Mac mini and it runs windows in Parallels great. This is the base $599.00 model also, I just upgraded the RAM to 2GB and the HDD to 200GB myself. Windows runs better under Parallels on the mini than it did on her old PC.

Edit: It is possible to run windows off a USB hard drive. I have done it before, however I don't recommend it as it is difficult to pull off and can be problematic when actually trying to use windows. I would recommend getting the cheapest hard drive available from apple then go to newegg.com and buy a 250GB HDD. Install it yourself and create a 50GB partition for windows and use the rest for OS X. I think you would be much happier with this setup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
OP
D
Reaction score
will any 2.5" hard drive work in the macbook pro's or do I have to have a specific brand or kind?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
D
Reaction score
One more question. I have seen alot of games ported to Intel Macs with Cider. does anyone know how well the Cider ports work on a Macbook Pro? I seen everything from Command and Conquer 3 to Call of Duty 2 and Quake 4, are they laggy, can you play them at near-max settings, do they look like their window's counterparts (shadows, antialiasing, etc), what FPS can you usually get with the games?
Also, for games ported with cider, do you need to burn them to a disc to get them to play, or do they not need the CD to play, or how does that work?
Also, what performance differences are there between the 2.2Ghz MBP and the 2.4Ghz MPB when playing games such as Call of Duty 2 and Quake 4?

OP
D
Reaction score
...does anyone have an answer to those questions or know where I could find out more about them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You'd be better installing Windows XP and playing those games on that OS with Bootcamp. OS X isn't really geared towards gaming and games wil usually have lower frame rates.

It's a simple procedure and once everything's installed, just hold down alt when starting up to boot into Windows instead of OS X.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Your 2.4Ghz will be an insignificant amount faster than the 2.2 when it comes to games. Maybe a couple of FPS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
A cider port takes a hit on FPS and is not recommended unless done well. Sometimes you get a good port, but otherwise its all slow. You will need a Mac pro to get decent frame rates. For gaming do the boot camp thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One more question. I have seen alot of games ported to Intel Macs with Cider. does anyone know how well the Cider ports work on a Macbook Pro? I seen everything from Command and Conquer 3 to Call of Duty 2 and Quake 4, are they laggy, can you play them at near-max settings, do they look like their window's counterparts (shadows, antialiasing, etc), what FPS can you usually get with the games?
Also, for games ported with cider, do you need to burn them to a disc to get them to play, or do they not need the CD to play, or how does that work?
Also, what performance differences are there between the 2.2Ghz MBP and the 2.4Ghz MPB when playing games such as Call of Duty 2 and Quake 4?

I've played the Mac versions of command and conquer 3, call of duty 2, and World of Warcraft. They all work fine for me under OS X but I also have a Mac Pro not the MacBook Pro. World of Warcraft works fine on my 2.0Ghz core duo macbook, low frame rates, but its still playable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.