Viewing Photos in the Finder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD
I've got iLife '08 and I must say I'm partially disapointed, or I'm just stupid (I'll accept either description based on responses received) Here's My issue, (I really hope I'm stupid in this case)

When you're in the Finder and you open up your Macintosh HD to view the folders and files in the computer, on the left hand side when you click on Pictures My iPhoto Library is greyed out.

This prevents me from quickly browsing through my library to post photos on such things like My Messenger for Mac, or other websites like Wal-Mart Photo Centre.

Does anyone have a solution to this issue? I've looked everywhere that I can possibly think of, sharing on iPhoto has everything sharing, Preferences all appear to be in a manner that I should be able to get to them.

Anyone know if this is meant to be this way, if so I'll be slightly disapointed. If there is a way around it, I'll gladly take the label of Stupid

OP
bryans83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, well I just answered my Question. I'll say I am a bit of both. However, for those who might be experiencing this issue, here is something you can try doing.

In your Finder Go to the Greyed out iPhoto Library, CTRL Click it and select Show Contents from the pop up menu, Then control+click on the Originals Folder and select Make Alias, once youve done that drag the alias folder you created anywhere you want.

There you have it. A Reachable way of seeing your photos in the Finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Stay out of the finder! Apple has changed the setup so that people will stay out and quit corrupting their photos by digging around in finder! If you want to upload to websites, etc., use the export function from within iPhoto and export to your desktop and upload from there. There is never a reason to go into the library in finder. Do anything and everything to/with your photos from within the app itself. Mucking about in finder will cause you no end of grief!

BTW -- doing what you are doing by creating an alias of the Originals folder, you are only getting the, well, originals. If you have made any changes to your photos (vropping, red-eye correction, etc), you are not getting the changed photos, just the photos the way they came off the camera. Another good reason for working within the app -- you'll get the most recent version of your photo.

OP
bryans83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry but I really dont want to have to go into iPhoto and export and make a freakin copy of a photo to upload Every single time I need to, its a complete waste of time. And the photos don't budge from the Folder I've made an alias of, its simply a way for me to gain Access to upload photos directly from the source.. It's Not going to corrupt them by doing this.

Also, You can create an Alias of the MODIFIED pictures if you so desire, and frankly I use iPhoto ONLY to group my photos in an easy to see view, or a quick slideshow. I do my modifications with Adobe Photoshop anyway, so it's no worry for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.