Limewire or Frostwire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I would like to know if possible which of these two apps which do basically the same thing would be the better one to use as I can see little difference in the basic function of either app.

Limewire Pro
http://www.limewire.com/

Frostwire
http://www.frostwire.com/

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
they look very alike. I have never used frost wire but I would think they are the same. by the way plz dont ask for help with illegal stuff on the forum - your post above is fine but if you were to say ' help need to get this song off limewire ' then that would be against the forum rules if the song was copyright.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
They're exactly the same as far as I now, frostwire is just opensource so there is no "pro" version.

And for the record asking about an application that could be used for illegal stuff is not against the rules here, just as long as the poster doesn't say they plan to use it for illegal stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
limewire basic restricts your search results, and slows download times.
frostwire is almost as good as limewire pro.
i have used all 3, i found significant difference in results between limewire basic and frostwire. but limewire pro and frostwire were almost exactly the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I would just go with Frostwire because you don't have to pay for it.

Reaction score
I having a mac book pro and the latest version of itunes. I can't get frostwire downloads to play in my itunes. Frostwire shows in my itunes and the file appears but it won't play. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Something not right about Frostwire. It says FrostWire (Mac) - Download it will work with OS 10.3 or later, and Java 1.4 or later (but frostwire.com says OS 10.4 or later) but then FW won't open because it requires Java 1.5 or later. What is the latest version of Java that will work with Panther (current OS)?

I currently have Java 1.3.1 and 1.4.2. Apple Software Update doesn't list any Java updates - am I stiff out of luck in respect of Frostwire?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Frostwire 4.10.9 states compatible with X.3.9 and earlier. Hope this works:-

Thanks Harry. Yes, it works ... sort-of. Takes forever to get a connection going with dialup, even good d-up. I don't have an option about that at present :(.

Reaction score
frost wire is turbo charged, gets all search results (not like limewire), and downloads way faster, i would really suggest frostwire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos
I having a mac book pro and the latest version of itunes. I can't get frostwire downloads to play in my itunes. Frostwire shows in my itunes and the file appears but it won't play. Does anyone have any advice on this?

I had the same problem with Limewire basic, but not with FW. Go figure.

I recommend FW for that reason.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.